Master Cylinder(New) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Master Cylinder(New)

........and the slave cylinder.....and the clutch...and can speak with authority tis indeed engine out to do it properly,but replaced the latter with the Mustang Cobra clutch circa 50% stronger than the OEM item.

Does that mean 50% harder to push the pedal? It is tough enough already!

Yes Martin it does require some more leg power! but decided after discussing the merits with Brian who in turn spoke to Sean Hyland,and that whilst the engine was out no harm would be done in fitting a stronger clutch,one thing I was pushing hard for was a lightened flywheel but Mr Hyland advised against this strongly particulary in a "daily drive car", ok for the track and big power applications but could be unsuitable for town driving....or something along those lines,and as that advice doesn't come much bigger had to concede the flywheel option!.

Glad you've got to the bottom of it - but 55 versus 219 for the same part! That's got to be worth referring to Trading Standards!
    Justin - Ex-website button-pusher

2003 MG ZT260 SE No. 144
    2018 Mini Cooper Clubman
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    197? Triumph 'Mostly'
    1975 Montesa Cota 175

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Flash View Post
    Yes Martin it does require some more leg power! but decided after discussing the merits with Brian who in turn spoke to Sean Hyland,and that whilst the engine was out no harm would be done in fitting a stronger clutch,one thing I was pushing hard for was a lightened flywheel but Mr Hyland advised against this strongly particulary in a "daily drive car", ok for the track and big power applications but could be unsuitable for town driving....or something along those lines,and as that advice doesn't come much bigger had to concede the flywheel option!.
    I don't know if anyone else would agree but I find the amount of travel on the clutch pedal as much of a pain as the effort needed to push it. I have to sit closer to the wheel than I would like simply because of the clutch. If I put the seat where I feel most comfortable then every now and then I graunch the gears because I have not disengaged the clutch properly.

Apart from a wooden block on the pedal is there any way of improving this situation?

1Powerrrack

yep I agree, I sometimes scrunch the gears due to the travel of the clutch pedal. lets hope the gearboxes are as tough as everyone says!
    Last edited by 1POWERRACK; 20-08-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: error
    Was Supercharged

If anyone is desperate for a new gearbox I just happen to have one under my bench

Can now confirm that the clutch master cylinder(replaced and fitted) is BMW MINI PART NO M21526774078 (£55 inc vat).... Xpart will charge you £220 plus for the same item.

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Warner View Post
    Apart from a wooden block on the pedal is there any way of improving this situation?
    I know it's all a bit 70's, but you could consider platform shoes. You never know, you could be at the start of a revival

Oh, and with regard the price differential, if we tell X-Part, they might consider their pricing for the part?
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

No wonder so many MGR cars are written off with such high parts prices, if there prices were cheaper then there would be more on the road and then they would sell more parts simple, but that price is extortion I think a phone call to X part is in order, maybe just maybe there could be a mistake but I doubt it !! Glad you,ve solved the problem, maybe we should have a competition, who can come up with parts fitted to our cars that match others.