Hello, chaps, and thanks for letting me in! Here's how my interest was fired up......

We've been looking for a newer car to replace my 3.0i Supra (Turbo) - we need an estate, due to increase family size and associated gubbins. I considered German, for a while, then decided I wanted to buy British (I've also got a 1968 Reliant GT Coupe - forerunner to the Scimitar). I've always liked the 75 model and found a local non-franchise dealer selling an MG75 ZT 190, which I took out. Very nice indeed but having looked into the various engine-related foibles on the MG-Rover forums, I'm thinking it may be better to go for the V8 version. I found some postings on Youtube and once I heard that V8 sound I was hooked - it has to be this model (despite impending road fund increases).

I'm used to 20mpg from the Supra, and only do about 3000miles per year, so fuel consumption isn't really a worry. I've found what appears to be a very nice 2004 (53-plate) 260 with 25K on the clock, and 4 previous owners, retailing at another garage for £5 under £10K. It's been sitting on the forecourt for 6 months (last MOT'd Oct07), and I'm yet to decide on viewing (it's 400 miles away!).

A few questions......

Aside from the obvious of having it fully serviced, and replacing anything suspect (eg pads & disks), what should I look out for/haggle on? They say a 3month warranty will be isued, but this, I think, is the statutory minimum for a car of this age/price? I was thinking along the lines of an Xpart service and 1 year full warranty. I've seen a few postings related to having heater hoses changed, diff oil, and petrol pump clips, etc - why and what else should I insist on? Are the central locking problems of the 190 similar on the 260? I've seen higher-mileage 260's at around £6K-£7K - what would be a good offer price to make?

Many thanks!

Armando.