ZT-T at Auction, Mathewsons 20/03/2024

Thread: ZT-T at Auction, Mathewsons 20/03/2024

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not only is the engine a problem but it looks like the AC has been bypassed, is that because of a faulty compressor or maybe more? Also why is the door card off in the rear?
    As far as it running low on oil I have been there before with other engines, rarely is it just a crank and bearings, on one I was helping out with it needed a cam and bearings and there was damage to a couple of bores. In the end we fitted another engine that we picked up out a crashed car for less than the cost of the parts to do the other one up let alone the machining etc etc.
    As a dooer up er it needs to be at the bottom of its guestimate if there is going to be a profit in it.
    Like any of these projects even if you are doing it your self you need to be charging out the work at a reasonable rate or you are doing it for nothing. If you do 40 hours on it and you make £500 you might as well have stacked shelves in Sainsburys and had no risk.
    I go back to what I said earlier if cheap enough it might be worth breaking, a pair of drive shafts, a couple of subframes and an ABS unit and you have got your money back.
    Such a difficult call on this, it would be good to see it done up but I suspect being Mathewsons it will sell to a daydreamer for twice what its worh and be on Ebay in 6 months with a bodged up engine and a polish.

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Not only is the engine a problem but it looks like the AC has been bypassed, is that because of a faulty compressor or maybe more? Also why is the door card off in the rear?
    As far as it running low on oil I have been there before with other engines, rarely is it just a crank and bearings, on one I was helping out with it needed a cam and bearings and there was damage to a couple of bores. In the end we fitted another engine that we picked up out a crashed car for less than the cost of the parts to do the other one up let alone the machining etc etc.
    As a dooer up er it needs to be at the bottom of its guestimate if there is going to be a profit in it.
    Like any of these projects even if you are doing it your self you need to be charging out the work at a reasonable rate or you are doing it for nothing. If you do 40 hours on it and you make £500 you might as well have stacked shelves in Sainsburys and had no risk.
    I go back to what I said earlier if cheap enough it might be worth breaking, a pair of drive shafts, a couple of subframes and an ABS unit and you have got your money back.
    Such a difficult call on this, it would be good to see it done up but I suspect being Mathewsons it will sell to a daydreamer for twice what its worh and be on Ebay in 6 months with a bodged up engine and a polish.
    Yeah true, forgot about the air con, I'm not buying it any way though. I bought 277 as an experiment to find out what I could do with removing the rear subframe and other things I hadn't done before, taught myself quite a bit on that.
    Breaking the car would bring a few thousand back on the purchase price, all running gear except engine, subframe, diff, driveshafts, ABS, exhaust, door panels etc etc. After all that you could then strip down the engine and find out what's needed and what's knackered, there again that's a lot of time and effort with the parts and dealing with many time wasters and guys who will have a go at you for breaking it. Not that I care much about that
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2003 Number 182 MGZT V8
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8