Recommendations for tyre choices for the MG ZT V8s please.

Thread: Recommendations for tyre choices for the MG ZT V8s please.

Default Recommendations for tyre choices for the MG ZT V8s please.

Change of mind upcoming. Those Refurbished 18" APEX Alloy Wheels in BRILLIANT WHITE GLOSS I have currently on sale here and elsewhere I may fit them back on my MG ZT260 V8 after all with new Rubber all round. Regarding tyre choices for the V8 ZTs, in my view handling, braking and adverse weather condition qualities are more important than mileage and price. Now fully retired I do not do many miles each year now in any of my daily drivers so wear rates and mpg are of less importance..

So with all the above in mind, would welcome feedback from V8 owners of actual hands on experience regarding "best" tyre choices, be they premium or mid-range Manufacturer Brands.

To my eyes, these Brilliant White Gloss "Hairpin" 18" ZT alloy wheels were a perfect cosmetic match. Only to learn soon after, of all the ZT Alloy Wheel Styles available for the V8 ZTs, the Hairpin is NOT recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
    Change of mind upcoming. Those Refurbished 18" APEX Alloy Wheels in BRILLIANT WHITE GLOSS I have currently on sale here and elsewhere I may fit them back on my MG ZT260 V8 after all with new Rubber all round. Regarding tyre choices for the V8 ZTs, in my view handling, braking and adverse weather condition qualities are more important than mileage and price. Now fully retired I do not do many miles each year now in any of my daily drivers so wear rates and mpg are of less importance..

So with all the above in mind, would welcome feedback from V8 owners of actual hands on experience regarding "best" tyre choices, be they premium or mid-range Manufacturer Brands.

To my eyes, these Brilliant White Gloss "Hairpin" 18" ZT alloy wheels were a perfect cosmetic match. Only to learn soon after, of all the ZT Alloy Wheel Styles available for the V8 ZTs, the Hairpin is NOT recommended.
    The only problem with white wheels John is they get dirty very quickly. Had some in the past on my Montego Advantage.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2003 Number 182 MGZT V8
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

Me personally, with a set of tyres coming up for renewal over the winter maintenance period, I'll be looking at the Uniroyal Rainsport tyres. Had them on #171 for a number of years and saw me well in the wet, and handled brilliantly too. Obviously this is in my personal opinion and other peoples experiences may differ, but I found Toyos great but wore down to quickly and Avons weren't brilliant. That said, for the application, others might find them good. I can't stand Goodyears on my lorry, when they are due our company wants Michelins on them as when gettiong low are horrible for traction. Yet I have Goodyear all seasons on my Seat, good as gold!
    2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
    2000 MGF 1.8 Steptronic

MG ZT260 SE #171 'The Boat'
    - Gone but not forgotten

Daily Driver:- 2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 TDi Xcellence

On my 2rd. set of Rainsports now. Now on 5's. Better wear than Contis, comfort, ride, handling and grip all good.

David
    Last edited by David; 22-08-2023 at 08:45 PM.

I am going to have to replace my tyres soon and I was checking when I fitted them, it was in 2019 and 20k miles ago. Very happy with that. They are Bridgestone Potenzas, I will be replacing them with the same.

I have had Uniroyal Rainsports on mine since the original Continentals needed replacing. Fantastic tyre all round. Run them in all my cars now. For the 260 I run oversize on the back. 245 40 18 instead of the 225 45 18 as standard and on the front. No issues and more rubber on the road. Same rolling dia as the fronts so no issues.

Yes the Uniroyals are a good tyre, I have them on my Capri and have transformed the grip especially in damp conditions, they have not been on the car long enough to indicate how long they will last but at the price they seem to be available for might be an option when mine need to be replaced.