R75 V8 selector cable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R75 V8 selector cable

Default R75 V8 selector cable

I'm still on the quest for a replace auto selector cable for my 75 V8. MGR part number is UCV000031. There is a Ford Part number of XR3Z-7E396-PW which Byron Rowson suggests is the same part.

If anyone has one or thinks they know where I can get one, then please contact me

Ratty

Quote Originally Posted by RattyB View Post
    ...There is a Ford Part number of XR3Z-7E396-PW which Byron Rowson suggests is the same part.
    I can't see how that can be, since the 'Stang cable is through to the shifter, not via an intermediate "push me pull you" quadrant, and then a 19cm quadrant>shifter rod after that, so probably be a great deal longer than the Rover one. On the other hand, if Byron has actually done it, so be it and I stand corrected, but I would otherwise put a big "?" on that. Dominic Middleton may know, or Brian (scooter) even ??

I suppose you could do a "quadrant delete", if that helped, but if it was designed by MGR in the way, it was for a reason, particularly if the Mustang cable would as suggested be a direct solution, and FOC. MGR did not like giving away money (not on paper anyway).

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and get the cable off the car and source or remake a new one based on that.
    Almost 4 years of asking hasn't resulted in a NOS cable popping up, and I would suggest that's now unlikely.
    It is not too difficult to get to both ends of the Rover cable to remove it, as I recall?

David
    Last edited by David; 05-12-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I can't see how that can be, since the 'Stang cable is through to the shifter, not via an intermediate "push me pull you" quadrant, and then a 15cm quadrant>shifter rod after that, so would be a great deal longer than the Rover one. On the other hand, if Byron has actually done it, so be it and I stand corrected, but I would otherwise put a big "?" on that. Dominic Middleton may know, or Brian (scooter) even ??

I suppose you could do a "quadrant delete", if that helped, but if it was designed by MGR in the way, it was for a reason, particularly if the Mustang cable would as suggested be a direct solution, and FOC. MGR did not like giving away money (not on paper anyway).

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and get the cable off the car and source or remake a new one based on that.
    Almost 4 years of asking hasn't resulted in a NOS cable popping up, and I would suggest that's now unlikely.
    It is not too difficult to get to both ends of the Rover cable to remove it, as I recall?

David
    Apparently it is already a very long cable and takes quite a route from end to end. My problem is I don't have the facilities to get the car up in the air to look at the problem. Re the Byron parts, apparently he shipped two R75 V8 cables to Aus this year, and they were marked up with that Ford part number. A google search doesn't return anything matching that number.

I have been told that Speedy Cables in Swansea should be able to replicate what I have. It would mean me taking my cable to them - I'm not trusting it to the post or a courier!

... apparently he shipped two R75 V8 cables to Aus this year, and they were marked up with that Ford part number. A google search doesn't return anything matching that number ...
    When looking for US bits, or anything in the US, I always use Bing.com:
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=XR3Z-7...f1fe246e3d73fe

Those do say 395 not 396 however, but the 396 I used to search may have been a typo from Byron?
    The 395 is a '99-'04 Mustang shifter cable (4R70W or 4R75W box, like ours), I see.

David
    Last edited by David; 04-12-2022 at 05:36 PM.

Since the cable shown above as available (the 395 one) fits our box at the box-end, which it must, then if the only problem is the length to the quadant, you could shorten inner and outer to fit. Don't quote me, but I think the quadrant end of the MGR cable is a plain cable with clamp for the outer and a kind if screw cable-nipple, you see. Will TRY and check that.

David
    Last edited by David; 04-12-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Sorry, but on checking that I see that the cable end is not clamped at the quadrant end, but has a special looking ferrule. Makes the possibility of shortening difficult to say the least.

David
    Last edited by David; 05-12-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Sorry, but on checking that I see that the cable end is not clamped at the quadrant end, but has a special looking ferrule. Makes the possibility of shortening difficult to say the least.
    unfortunately, like a lot of things on these cars it's a right buggers muddle
    Last edited by David; 05-12-2022 at 10:18 AM.

David
    I don?t suppose that you (anyone else) has or knows where to get a removal and installation guide? I figure if I can get it off to look at it and take photos then that is half the battle won.

I don't suppose that you (anyone else) has or knows where to get a removal and installation guide? I figure if I can get it off to look at it and take photos then that is half the battle won.
    I know the "top end", that is to say the shifter to quadrant, so if you want help with that just ask (I think to change the ball ends on the linkage rod, part "l", is essential if you are working on it. They are VERY prone to failure, and cheap and fairly easy to fix).

I think the lower cable fitting to the box/neutral switch is pretty much self evident. Watched Nick do it and it took a couple of minutes (after he had broken it that is!). Section 44 of the Service Procedures Manual or RAVE may help with the other end, but the diagram on page 44-1, see screen-print below, is fairly explicit (email me to get the original pdf pages which are too large to publish here).

David
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by David; 07-12-2022 at 09:40 AM.

i trusted a courier and Speedy cables matched the items, some good few years ago now.and I continue to source partsfor the running of my two V8s, do not give p on these unique vehicles