Highline Instrument Cluster Wanted - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highline Instrument Cluster Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Peter260 View Post
    I have a "brand new"or more like NOS 01 YAC 005120 LNF. So a Low line 2004 -
    Does that mean it will not work in my car ?

It appears to have all the displays and I bought it plus 15 years ago from the factory stock.
    Thinking one day a spare could be useful but it never crossed my mind that it would not fit.
    (I hope the meters etc are still all the same).

It is for sure KMH and MG. RPM left and KMH right.
    Waiting for an LCD to arrive so I fix my current display.

Thanks, Peter
    I'm unsure. I think 'scoubix', Nicolas Roughol, or maybe 'steve00136' would know.
    For some reason I thought your car was Low-line with HK; don't know why !
    Are you planning to mount the new LCD unit yourself, or have you found a competent chap in Holland to do it for you?

David

I actually don't know what the real difference is between low line and high line.
    Mine was ordered as a demonstrator so thought it came with all the options.
    As I have sunroof, HK, electric adjusted seats with memory etc. Seems to have the SE indication as well.
    But I don't really know.

I am planning to do the display myself.
    Since at that time I did not know about the Dutch guy doing updates,
    I ordered LCD screens as I was informed there would be no more available.
    (I actually bought two thinking it would be good to have a spare one).

Waiting for the parts to arrive from UK (in transit) and than will have to take the decision whether to do it myself.
    Since I need to fix a few more things in the interior like mirror controls, steering wheel and possibly upgrading the stereo a long weekend would be good.

Was thinking I will always have the complete unit as a backup if totally mess up. That may not be true anymore.
    I bought this cluster when factory stock was sold off on ebay. Bought it with lots of other stuff that I sadly sold when the car was gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'm unsure. I think 'scoubix', Nicolas Roughol, or maybe 'steve00136' would know.
    For some reason I thought your car was Low-line with HK; don't know why !
    Are you planning to mount the new LCD unit yourself, or have you found a competent chap in Holland to do it for you?

David

I actually don't know what the real difference is between low line and high line.
    Mine was ordered as a demonstrator so thought it came with all the options.
    As I have sunroof, HK, electric adjusted seats with memory etc. Seems to have the SE indication as well.
    But I don't really know.
    A Hi-Line system will have a screen like this (standard 4:3 MGR unit):

HiLine.jpg

If it's Lo-line it will probably look more like this:

Lo-Line.jpg

If it has a screen, but NOT like the one in the top picture, then it has already been replaced, and that will not tell you if your system is "Hi" or "Lo".

The database shows these as being the options spec, for #800 (no Hi-Line, TV tuner etc mentioned).

• High power rear speakers
    • Pair Rec/Lumbar/Height Adj.-Electric
    • Elect seat adj - driver memory
    • 225 radial ply tyres
    • Tyre Profile 45 alloy centre trim - mg logo
    • 7.5 X 18 road wheels
    • ZR tyre speed rating
    • Power amplifier fitted
    • Sunroof-Glass Tilt and Slide - Electric
    • branded speakers hi-fi pack
    • Sports Black Leather Seats
    • Electric fold flat capability dr mirrors
    • Gear lever surround IMF 3
    • Pearl Black
    • Sports PPH Black Full Ash Interior
    • Pearlescent paint charge
    • Red / Buff build label

... which indicates low-line, so your "spare" unit SHOULD be the right one anyway?

Waiting for the parts to arrive from UK (in transit) and than will have to take the decision whether to do it myself.
    You might still like to consider having the LCD fix done by the German company just over the Dutch border, since I understand you need considerable skill to "DIY" ( which you may well have!). It is, I think, cheap, and carries a 5-year guarantee. A buyer for your LCD's when they arrive, should be easy to organise.
    https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...XbTuwLxOT-M5ps

David
    Last edited by David; 31-08-2022 at 04:25 PM.

I think there seems to be some confusion in this thread over Hi-Line and Lo-Line systems and Instrument clusters.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Peter I am no expert but from my recent enquiries a lowline cluster will not be a replacement for a highline cluster - it does not have the trip computer installed.
    Maybe someone with better knowledge will confirm.
    2003 MG ZT 260 SE #038
    1993 MG RV8
    1975 MGB Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I think there seems to be some confusion in this thread over Hi-Line and Lo-Line systems and Instrument clusters.

Nich.
    I guess it all centres around the fact (?) that the instrument clusters are different, Hi-Line/Lo-Line, apparently, so if you want to use a "plug and play" replacement unit, you need to know which one. Obviously the number on the label on the old cluster would tell you that.

It may be that using T4 or a soldering iron even those differences are not insurmountable, should you have a different 'xx-Line' as your replacement unit, what I was referring to in post #6 above, essentially.

As I understand it, the Trip computer cluster version with the IPK LCD display in question, can be fitted on cars with or without the Hi-Line display with TV 'monitor', tuner etc...... or maybe I'm 100% wrong.

I once owned a 2003 V6 with SatNav, Cruise Control, HK sound system, but no TV-screen, just a centre-console unit like the one I show as being "Lo-Line" above. It had an LCD IPK complete with missing pixels too!

David
    Last edited by David; 31-08-2022 at 06:28 PM.

The original content of this post somehow got duplicated so removed? ...... but a good opportunity for an update that I have now got a replacement for my highline cluster (thanks to Nich) and as soon as Rick of Custom Car Parts is back in business will be sending my original and new cluster to have the eeproms swopped over.
    Thanks for your help.
    Steve
    Last edited by steve00136; 31-08-2022 at 07:51 PM.
    2003 MG ZT 260 SE #038
    1993 MG RV8
    1975 MGB Roadster

Well based on the pictures i have a high line.
    Since I was/am the first owner 100% certain the car came with that unit (still is in) and also had navigation installed (the unit in the back (now broken by the way).

The "monitor"was there from new (see also the pictures linked to #0800 on the register here).

Will wait for my parts to arrive :-( Still no sign.
    I am handy with electronics so will make a first attempt myself but good to know there is an expert around.
    (I will not sell the spare displays. Whole point of buying two was to have a spare should i ever need one.

Fix vintage audio as a hobby and parts like these become very difficult to find at some point in time.
    So would advice anyone to buy an extra and store it for the future (if anything the parts will not become cheaper).

As for the unit I bought 15 years ago. Will keep it for spare in case the speedometer or rpm meter breaks.

Thanks,
    Peter

Well based on the pictures i have a high line.
    Since I was/am the first owner 100% certain the car came with that unit (still is in) and also had navigation installed (the unit in the back (now broken by the way)...
    If you feel the need, you can simply replace the combined CD-Drive and satnav in the right rear wing, by a BMW or MINI DVD Mk. IV 'High' satnav unit.
    Map DVD-disk updates stopped at 2019, but better than nothing. Plug and play replacement, potentially a cheap/free version upgrade of the head-unit firmware may be required, that's all.

... but make sure if you do that you buy carefully. I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago, and it only gave me only French, German and Italian language choice! Any takers?

David
    Last edited by David; 06-09-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If you feel the need, you can simply replace the combined CD-Drive and satnav in the right rear wing, by a BMW or MINI DVD Mk. IV 'High' satnav unit.
    Map DVD-disk updates stopped at 2019, but better than nothing. Plug and play replacement, potentially a cheap/free version upgrade of the head-unit firmware may be required, that's all.

... but make sure if you do that you buy carefully. I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago, and it only gave me only French, German and Italian language choice! Any takers?

David
    French, did you say?
    Both of my cars have MkIV already. However I can fairly easily change the languages in that unit of yours if you want to, you just need to send that drive to me.
    I have the software and K-Bus interface adapter to connect to it.
    1999 2.5 V6 Rover 75 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
    2004 4.6 V8 MG ZT-T (the only known auto ZT-T V8) - LHD
    1993 2.7 V6 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
    1993 Rover 216 GSi
    1975 Rover P6 3500