Does this sound okay?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound okay?

Question Does this sound okay?

So, I'm thinking of buying this zt v8 and the seller has sent Mr this video of it running.

He's told me the video makes it sound a lot more 'tinny sounding' than it actually is, but still wanted an opinion on if it sounds okay?

To my ears it sounds like an noisy bearing in an auxiliary item or a pully wheel perhaps?

More important things to consider!
    Last edited by Pete; 13-04-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

2004 MG ZT 260SE Pearl Black
    1960 MGA Roadster Flame Red

Sounds like a rusty A/C compressor clutch but very hard to tell on a recorded video. Viewing is highly recommended if you’re still interested after seeing the MOT history

It's running well from the exhaust note and if you use the sound of the back as a reference then agree there are some dry bearings. Either one of the pullys or compressor. Pullys are cheap as chips, compressor budget £250 to £300. You do need to go and see though!

The car was involved in a side impact but was repaired to a good standard. Came from the same dealer as mine in Ottershaw, Surrey.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Go see it, drive it, look underneath and assess from there
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2003 Number 182 MGZT V8
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

mine sounded just like that...needed a new a/c compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    It's running well from the exhaust note and if you use the sound of the back as a reference then agree there are some dry bearings. Either one of the pullys or compressor. Pullys are cheap as chips, compressor budget £250 to £300. You do need to go and see though!

The car was involved in a side impact but was repaired to a good standard. Came from the same dealer as mine in Ottershaw, Surrey.
    I've been told it's a cat D so I'm guessing it can't have been too bad a bump?

Quote Originally Posted by OneSixty View Post
    Sounds like a rusty A/C compressor clutch but very hard to tell on a recorded video. Viewing is highly recommended if you?re still interested after seeing the MOT history
    Re MOT history..

Are the front struts still available if they need replacing?

Also, it does mention the structural condition and I see there is some rust on the one side lower wheel arch, but he's said this will be repaired before sale, including fixing a coolant leak on the engine. I am surprised its so rusty there seeing that the structural issues must have been repaired for its last mot in 2021 .

And back to my original question, he's going to fit new belt and pulleys/bearings.

Both near side doors, rear most, central pillar, and cills. Most of the hit was central.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I've been told it's a cat D so I'm guessing it can't have been too bad a bump?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim; 14-04-2022 at 07:31 PM.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Shop has both front and rear struts in stock Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Re MOT history..

Are the front struts still available if they need replacing?

Also, it does mention the structural condition and I see there is some rust on the one side lower wheel arch, but he's said this will be repaired before sale, including fixing a coolant leak on the engine. I am surprised its so rusty there seeing that the structural issues must have been repaired for its last mot in 2021 .

And back to my original question, he's going to fit new belt and pulleys/bearings.
    Tim Hayton