Are all 260 rear diffs all the same?

Thread: Are all 260 rear diffs all the same?

Exclamation Are all 260 rear diffs all the same?

As title.

Do all v8 zt's come with the same rear differential?
    And if not, what are the differences and which is the better one to have?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    As title.

Do all v8 ZT's come with the same rear differential?
    And if not, what are the differences and which is the better one to have?
    All diffs and their ratios are the same, ZT 260 and R75V8, all ages. The MG ones are equipped with small dampers to handle tramping and damp resonance not experienced with the Rover (automatic box) power train, see: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...T-and-Rover-75

Some, but not all, SV and SVR cars which also use a Dana diff, can have different ratios, and their guts may have escaped into some ZT 260's (not fitted by MGR), I believe. (SV/SVR diff mountings are also different to the 260's, I understand).

David
    Last edited by David; 10-04-2022 at 01:00 PM.

The SV also has studs for mounting the propshaft instead of bolts but easily fixed with a stud remover and some heat as they are locked in place with loctite.

The one I fitted to my car was sourced from an SV and was still new its box.

Steve

Cheers guys!
    I saw one zt 260 for sale and it said in the description that it had a TVR diff? And Something about a viscous LSD?

Cheers guys!
    I saw one zt 260 for sale and it said in the description that it had a TVR diff? And Something about a viscous LSD?
    They'll be saying "... of course, all 75's and ZT's had reliable BMW engines by then ...". Don't believe everything (anything?) you read on the internet or advertising blurb, even from owners.

TVR did use Dana diffs in some models, and some were LSD, and some the same design as the type fitted to our cars, but Dana diffs were made in OZ, not in Blackpool.

Totally off topic, but the new planned Ford V8 engined Griffith looks a bit tasty, don't you think?
    https://www.tvr.co.uk/new-car

David.

As I understand the only difference on the SV diff is the reluctor rings are fitted on the diff. Are you after a diff Gaz?
    I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

2004 MG ZT 260SE Pearl Black
    1960 MGA Roadster Flame Red

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As I understand the only difference on the SV diff is the reluctor rings are fitted on the diff. Are you after a diff Gaz?
    Hopefully not, I was just curious to know if there were different types in some cars and if some were better than others.

Apparently they need their oil changing on a fairly regular schedule or they can become damaged and need rebuilding?

Hopefully not, I was just curious to know if there were different types in some cars and if some were better than others.

Apparently they need their oil changing on a fairly regular schedule or they can become damaged and need rebuilding?
    Pretty academic as you haven't yet got yourself a car after 12 years of 'lurking.' I don't know where you get your information from but your statement is not accurate.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Ugly rumour, again. The diffs should have had an initial oil change after about 1000 miles I understand, which sometimes wasn't done apparently. Beyond that however the oil change is at 150k miles, or 10 years, whichever is sooner. I don't call that a "fairly regular schedule" ! Mine, which still runs perfectly and no whines or clonks, was changed for the first time at 200k miles when I acquired the car. Using the correct oil is absolutely imperative.

I don't know where you are getting all this fake news from, but I think you should really change your reading habits!
    When/if you finally do buy a 260, and become a full member, you will find lots of reliable information here to help you along with ownership, of course.

David
    Last edited by David; 12-04-2022 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Ugly rumour, again. The diffs should have had an initial oil change after about 1000 miles I understand, which sometimes wasn't done apparently. Beyond that however the oil change is at 150k miles, or 10 years, whichever is sooner. I don't call that a "fairly regular schedule" ! Mine, which still runs perfectly and no whines or clonks, was changed for the first time at 200k miles when I acquired the car. Using the correct oil is absolutely imperative.

I don't know where you are getting all this fake news from, but I think you should really change your reading habits!
    When/if you finally do buy a 260, and become a full member, you will find lots of reliable information here to help you along with ownership, of course.

David
    That's good to know!

I think I remember reading something about someone needing his diff rebuilt because the oil hadn't been changed.

Perhaps it was one of those cars you mentioned that never had it's oil changed at 1000 miles?

Either way, good to know it's a reliable unit.