The 260 market drying up? Some worrying observations. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 260 market drying up? Some worrying observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsok View Post
    Thank you David, that would be very helpful. I have a couple of 'familiar' issues from what I have read on the forums. A bit of prop knock and the heater....but I still love it!
    Hi and welcome again, we met at Gaydon the other evening - here's a link to David's 'recipe' for getting the best out of the air con that I think I mentioned, or at least part of it! I find this works well, and if you hit the Econ button it'll turn off the AC whilst still allowing some air flow in the cooler UK (and improve the mpg marginally - but we didn't buy a 4.6 litre V8 for the economy! :-) )

Getting ONLY cold air from the A/C (two-sixties.co.uk)
    Life's too short to drive boring cars!

MG ZT 260 #442 in XPower Grey

Hello again! Was good to talk with you on Tuesday and see a fellow owner. Thanks for this, I will give it a try at the weekend. It's definitely Smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon! But better on fuel than my old Landrover...

This thread is now over a month old, so my post may be out-of-date.

But there is an upside to fewer cars on the market: rarity.

For most it's not an everyday car, so fuel consumption isn't really an issue.
    MG ZT-T 260 in X-power grey, n° 555, LHD
    MG TF 160 BRG, LHD
    Lotus Evora 2010 Platinum silver LHD

Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    This thread is now over a month old, so my post may be out-of-date.
    But there is an upside to fewer cars on the market: rarity.
    For most it's not an everyday car, so fuel consumption isn't really an issue.
    Volumes are too low to represent a reliable sample over such short time spans I think, but I get an inkling that you may well be right, from recent sales. We shall see.

"Watch this space", and of course the Monthly Ins-and-Outs thread at the start of each month.
    https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...e-Ins-and-Outs and go to the Last posts.

David
    Last edited by David; 13-05-2022 at 03:12 PM.

The problem is at the moment with what had been and what is happening around the world and I BBC constantly threatening us with a recession a lot of people are keeping there money in the pockets.

I know a lot of people who have there own business and all are saying that they have never been so busy. Hopefully once this madness in the Ukraine has s
    finished things will start getting back to something like normal.

Personally I think fuel prices will stay roughly where they are, the only thing that will make them drop is if we stop buying it.

Steve

I can only comment on the European market for a LHD ZT-T.

Roughly 3 years ago, I started looking for one again (I owned #0800 from new till 2010).
    Thinking there is no point looking only in the Netherlands so searched for European offerings using Mobile, autoscout24 and local marktplaats.

Any car in the 20-25K upwards I more or less ignored as I wanted a car to use for fun.
    Not worry about loosing value simply because I drive it.

There was 1 car on offer in Germany that I really liked, but due to Covid could not go and see in person. The seller did not want to keep the car for me, even if I paid in full (I am fluent in German so it was not a matter of communication. He simply did not know how long Covid restrictions would last and was convinced he would sell it anyway).
    The car got sold a bit later, so if it was impossible to sell, I would think they would have tried a bit harder.

Earlier this year my old ZT-T came up for sale. (240.000 km on the clock. I did the first 160K).
    Interestingly the seller phoned me up after I bought the car on paper and made the downpayment etc. He had another interested buyer whether I would be willing to let it go?
    (I did not, but he actually commented he sold it too quickly as he would have made more money on it).

Just my experience.

A lot of cars are being offered for sale at very high prices at the moment in Europe, and not many of them are selling, perhaps as a result. Certainly nothing less than Euro 30k available anywhere for a LHD 260 or R75V8 now. No, not a mis-typing, albeit that both are in France.
    My dear old 'Olive' is looking concerned!

RHD cars which were still "fair game" in Germany a couple of years ago, have fallen from favour there recently, and proving difficult/impossible to sell on the continent. Some/most no longer have a UK 'title', which means re-importation into the UK to be able to be sold there, and that would be very expensive too post Brexit. Leaves them a bit in a state of limbo.

Your car was a bit of an exception, Peter, being 'pure Dutch', and the Starlight Silver ZT-T in Germany, if that's the one you refer to, went to France in the end, where prices are the highest at the moment. The same was the case with #721, the Royal Blue Tourer. The German owner of #719, the ZT-T in Moody Blue, steadfastly stuck to his guns for years, despite receiving (I think) reasonable offers, eventually dropping well below those offers to sell. Being stubborn is not always the best tactic. OK, that was a commission or 'consignment' sale I believe, which generally does little to serve the interests of any of the 3 parties at the and of the day, I think.

In the case of your car, #800 ...

...he actually commented he sold it too quickly as he would have made more money on it ...
    ... OK, 2 weeks on sale is not a lot, but I think he can't really complain after what he paid for the car!

A little bird tells me a that a certain rather nice Finnish registered LHD Aquamarine (Goodwood) Green ZT-T may be up for sale again too. Currently unofficially 'holidaying' in Belgium. Being LHD, non-EU, non-UK could be a problem? Anyone potentially interested can be put in touch, if you would like to PM me.

David
    Last edited by David; 05-08-2022 at 08:05 PM.

I have been looking on and off for a number of years now, specifically for a UK ZT-T.

a few years ago there always seemed to be a few ZTs dotted about with maybe 1 ZT-T popping up every now and again.

Financially never worked out and I would say now that very few come up, even less under £10K. This forum is by far the best place to look.

thanks to those who maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by K11NGSLEY View Post
    I have been looking on and off for a number of years now, specifically for a UK ZT-T.
    A few years ago there always seemed to be a few ZTs dotted about with maybe 1 ZT-T popping up every now and again.
    Financially never worked out and I would say now that very few come up, even less under £10K. This forum is by far the best place to look.
    There are only three ZT-T road-cars for sale at present as far as I know , and only two are RHD and UK registered.
    Looking through the "Complete list", member "Mean Green" lists #427 in post #8 here:
    https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...-260s-FOR-SALE

The full details of the car may not be available if try to follow the link there, since you are not yet a full-member, but you could always send a PM to him asking for details, if you are currently looking to buy? Alternatively PM your email address to me (Member-name "David"), and I will forward it to the seller, if you wish. I think the car is still available.

I update the Complete List at least twice daily, so you are unlikely to miss much if you keep looking there.
    Where are you actually located (roughly) may I ask?

David
    Last edited by David; 17-08-2022 at 05:26 PM.

Hi David - thanks for the information and offer to help.

Currently I don?t have the funds, I came on here to see how the market was doing for when I can make this work and this thread interested me given it?s looking like there may not be much to choose from!

I?m in West Sussex, there is a Rover 75 V8 a couple of miles from me which I have always admired and the ZT-T just ticks so many boxes for me.