Suspension Advice

Thread: Suspension Advice

Default Suspension Advice

To get onto my driveway I have the car on full left lock & when it goes over the pavement ridge i get a slight click/clonk from the front left suspension.

Also when i drive over the cobbled style ramp/bump around the estate i get noticeable wheel wobble.

Any suggestion/advice on what could be causing this? Assuming its a worn suspension part.

The click clonk could well be the front spring not moving smoothly as it will try to rotate slightly when it winds and unwinds on compression or release. Caused by a seized or worn top bearing below the rubber top strut mounting. Jack up the car and turn the steering fully from lock to lock, and listen for it then. On taking off the jack, listen for bonking when the spring compresses when the jack is further slowly released after the tyre has grounded.

Easy and inexpensive job to replace the top mount bearing, with or without the actual rubber part.
    See: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004207 (part #5)
    All ZT's and R75's are the same part. Watch out that you don't lose the spacing washers above the shock absorber body (part #4)!

Could also be a drop-link or ant-roll bar bush with play. Jack up and "exercise" those bits with a tyre-lever or some such.

Don't think the wheel wobble would be linked to either, but mine "shimmied" at low speed on road unevenness, as little as white lines, on Contis; less on the Uniroyals, but still does it.

Rear-end "shimmy" when navigating speedbumps was cured by replacing the totally shot rear shockers.

David.
    Last edited by David; 24-03-2022 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks David,

Agree with the clonk noise most likely being the top mount bearing or an ARB link/bush ,as planning on getting 4 new Meyle HD ones anyway and doing both front & rear.

Just stuck on the wheel wobble as there's no obvious signs of play when moving the wheel jacked up

I had the same on mine and in the end it turned out to be the inner ball joint on the bottom arm. It would not show up on an MOT test but once removed from the car it was obvious. I have now installed grease nipples on the underside of the ball joints when I fitted new arms.

Steve

Through further investigation i only get wheel wobble when the front left wheel goes over pot holes/bumps, right wheel only going over pot holes, no wobble what's so ever.

2 new top strut mounts are on their way from DMGRS which will hopefully solve 1 (clonk noise) if not both problems. If not then potential wishbone bushes.

Quote Originally Posted by DomT101 View Post
    ... If not then potential wishbone bushes.
    The clonk noise as well as the wobble could actually both come from the lower arm rubber bush too of course, and, as Steve says, it could also be either of the two ball joint in the wishbone, causing both clonk and wobble.

Track-rod end ball joints and play on the joint between inner track-rod and the end of the rack, are also possibilities. All should be easy to check, but don't be afraid to be a bit "strenuous" with them!

It is difficult to diagnose the reason for noises you haven't had the opportunity of hearing, of course .

David
    Last edited by David; 30-03-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The clonk noise as well as the wobble could actually both come from the lower arm rubber bush too of course, and, as Steve says, it could also be either of the two ball joint in the wishbone, causing both clonk and wobble.

Track-rod end ball joints and play on the joint between inner track-rod and the end of the rack, are also possibilities. All should be easy to check, but don't be afraid to be a bit "strenuous" with them!

It is difficult to diagnose the reason for noises you haven't had the opportunity of hearing, of course .

David
    Very true. Like i said i can't see/feel any obvious play jacked up using my meat tools (hands & arms). I'll see if the garage can find anything before replacing top mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by DomT101 View Post
    Very true. Like i said i can't see/feel any obvious play jacked up using my meat tools (hands & arms). I'll see if the garage can find anything before replacing top mounts.
    Yes, a couple of zonking great tyre-levers are the best bet.

David

If you have a friendly MOT tester they will put the car on the shaker pads. That will soon find it and just give him a few quid.

Steve