Hello new member :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello new member :)

Default Hello new member :)

Happy Sunday after to all!

As the weather is a bit grim I thought I'd log on and say hello. New member here - Derbyshire based. Looking to buy a V8, preferable a R75.

I can't find much info on the Ford 4-speed auto in the R75 - does anyone know if it is reliable?

I can see that vin #254 is for sale. Not a R75 but it has been retofitted with the V8 front grill etc. Anyone have any history on this car? 5 owners :/ and a rather steep 12k.

Have a good day everyone.

David

Quote Originally Posted by MGR83 View Post
    ... I can't find much info on the Ford 4-speed auto in the R75 - does anyone know if it is reliable? ...
    Happy Sunday to you too (from the "David" who keeps the cars for sale information up to date, or tries to!).

The Ford 4R75W box is very reliable. Not to say it can't break of course but generally, and is in my experience more reliable than the Jatco's fitted to the V6's, say; I've 'lost' two of those boxes over the last few years. Huge numbers of NY city cabs and cop cars used the Ford 4.6 2V modular back in the day, many were auto's too using the 4R70W or 4R75W box, and still run at over 400k miles.

My R75V8 is now just 200km shy of 350k kms (219k miles), and still runs like new on the original engine, transmission and diff.

Recently had a failed selector linkage ball-joint, which is not uncommon, but that cost only £10, and many bared knuckles, to resolve. The only power-train related problem it has ever had, as far as the fsh shows.

Keep looking at the availability lists I maintain starting with the Complete List here: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...-260s-FOR-SALE . Updated at least 2x per day.

Tip: Rover 75 V8's are rare, but the Rover 75 V8 Connoisseur SE, VIN #605 belonging to member "Pat" in Kent, (listed on 01/02/22, 2004 Rover 75 V8 SE auto, Starlight Silver 91,650 miles £8,750), although officially withdrawn from sale, could still be available perhaps, if you ask. Try sending him a PM, maybe?

David
    Last edited by David; 13-02-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Hi David

Thank you for the info. I'm not seeing anything negative via a search of the 4-speed - old school Ford auto but very robust. Never had an auto but I think I've got to that time of life

Currently using a ZT 190 as my runner and a much loved TF 160 (now 180) for my summer car. An R75 would be a great additon.

I shall keep a look out in the two-sixties listing page.

David

The auto box is neither clunky, nor hopelessly slow, unlike the Chrysler/Dodge boxes for example. Most people who have owned both R75V8 and ZT260 appear to agree that the R75 is the better "package", the box and motor suiting each other better.

... First find a Rover 75 V8 though!

David
    Last edited by David; 13-07-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Hurley Hill garage near Bristol have a NEW one if you have a Lot of Money.

Good evening all.

Guess what...

I bought an R75 V8

How do I become a full member please David? The car needs some TLC - I have questions to pose to the forum.

David

Good evening all.

Guess what...

I bought an R75 V8

How do I become a full member please David? The car needs some TLC - I have questions to pose to the forum.

David
    Tim should have sent you a questionnaire when you first signed up, send him a PM to ask for a new one if you can't find it.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Good evening all.

Guess what...

I bought an R75 V8

David
    Congrats and welcome! Which VIN have you bought? It may well have a history of ownership here.
    For full membership, you will have to be an MGOC member (or application being processed). OK, may sound a bit odd for a Rover owner, but since the MGOC hosts this Two-Sixties website, that is a requirement. I see you already have an MG "fleet" though, so may already be a member?

As Nich says, send a PM to Tim stating your email address for a new questionnaire to be sent if needs be. That will get the full-membership ball rolling.

P.S. Photos of the R75V8 would be nice.
    P.P.S. #596 ???

David
    Last edited by David; 17-07-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Evening gents. Apologies for the late response. I'm still upto my eye balls in a house move - who knew I had so much stuff! I've been at it three weeks and finally I'm down to my last few boxes. And I have internet aha.

I wish I had vin # 596 because it was cheaper lol. No, I picked up vin #571. A six hour round drive down south makes for a very long day. A new car isn't exactly a smart move during a house purchase. The money aside, my stress levels have been at DEFCON 1 for some time. But R75 V8s are like buses it would seem.

Sorry no pictures as of yet. I've just put it in under a car cover in the garage and forgotten about it. But I am conscious that it needs some TLC. I had hoped it would be fault free but alas no joy. So I'm going to need to consult the forums...

eventually.

David

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Congratulations on your purchase, and good luck with the house move!
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)