Hello
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Hello

  1. #1
    Registered User JJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    47

    Default Hello

    I have just recently bought a Rover 75 V8 and i absolutely love it already. I want to ensure it gets the right treatment it deserves and i intend to join the two sixties. I have two questions and no doubt more to follow as and when.
    • When it comes to diagnosing engine management faults is a T4 the only way to detect the error codes or are there some code readers available generally that your local garage may use?
    • What is available to view as a member that you cant view as a non member?

  2. #2
    #829 called 'Olive' David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Breugel, Holland
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    I have just recently bought a Rover 75 V8 and i absolutely love it already. I want to ensure it gets the right treatment it deserves and i intend to join the two sixties. I have two questions and no doubt more to follow as and when.
    • When it comes to diagnosing engine management faults is a T4 the only way to detect the error codes or are there some code readers available generally that your local garage may use?
    • What is available to view as a member that you cant view as a non member?
    Congratulations and welcome! A man with taste, obviously .

    There are cheap readers that will connect and read the basic codes (engine/emission only and then only non-MGR specific). My Autel MaxScan GS500 for example does, and others I know use the Vgate Scan VS600 to good effect. Many cheap readers, in fact the majority, do not, however. There is a tester called the Pscan which is a lot more expensive but identifies at least some MGR and V8 specific data I understand (https://pscan.uk/ ).

    As ever, the T4 is the only complete tester. Even that fails to "talk" to some 260's/R75V8s all of the time though, including my R75V8!

    You will only get a fraction of the Forum information you will certainly need as a new owner, if you do not have full membership I'm afraid. Furthermore you do not get access to the club shop. Access to that alone could easily save you several years of MGOC membership cost (around 50 quid p.a.) at one visit; worth every penny! If (when) you decide, just PM Tim and ask for a questionnaire to be emailed to you.

    What is the VIN (last 3 digits) of your R75V8, please? It may well be a car we know. A few photos would be nice too. By email for Nich or for me, David at mods.twosixties@gmail.com, if that's easier for you. Always trying to keep all our stats about the 887 cars up to date.
    Thanks!

    David
    Last edited by David; 22-10-2021 at 08:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User JJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Thank you David. Its good to know you don't always need a T4. That was one of my biggest concerns. The cheap testers you mention i assume they will be able to remove/reset management lights when the issue has been solved?
    I intend to join the MGOC just so i can join the forum .Tim has sent me the questionnaire which i intend to submit. Thanks again for your time.

  4. #4
    #829 called 'Olive' David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Breugel, Holland
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    ...The cheap testers you mention i assume they will be able to remove/reset management lights when the issue has been solved? ...
    Yes
    ... I intend to join the MGOC just so i can join the forum ...
    Great! As a Rover (not MG) owner, so did I. Still curious about your R75V8 VIN

    David
    Last edited by David; 22-10-2021 at 08:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Registered User jeff turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    I have just recently bought a Rover 75 V8 and i absolutely love it already. I want to ensure it gets the right treatment it deserves and i intend to join the two sixties. I have two questions and no doubt more to follow as and when.
    • When it comes to diagnosing engine management faults is a T4 the only way to detect the error codes or are there some code readers available generally that your local garage may use?
    • What is available to view as a member that you cant view as a non member?
    Hi, I'm guessing from your post you have an engine management light on?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2003 Number 182 MGZT V8
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

  6. #6
    #829 called 'Olive' David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Breugel, Holland
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    And if so, P0443 shouldn't wonder !

    No, mustn't tempt fate, but I counted reports of the EVAP faults occurring over the years in posts here earlier in the year ("get a life", you might say!), I counted no less than 13 vehicles, and discovered that (statistically) P0443 occurs a whopping 9 times more frequently than you would expect on Rover 75V8's as against ZT260's. There must be a logical reason?

    David
    Last edited by David; 23-10-2021 at 10:35 AM.

  7. #7
    Registered User SCP440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Witney Oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    . There must be a logical reason?



    David
    It has to be either the software for the Auto box or the way they are driven. My guess would be the fact it is more difficult to rev an Auto.

    Steve

  8. #8
    Registered User JJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yes Great! As a Rover (not MG) owner, so did I. Still curious about your R75V8 VIN

    David
    525

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    And if so, P0443 shouldn't wonder !

    No, mustn't tempt fate, but I counted reports of the EVAP faults occurring over the years in posts here earlier in the year ("get a life", you might say!), I counted no less than 13 vehicles, and discovered that (statistically) P0443 occurs a whopping 9 times more frequently than you would expect on Rover 75V8's as against ZT260's. There must be a logical reason?

    David
    EVAP? Is that to do with fuel system. Can it be as silly as the petrol cap not fitted properly?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff turbo View Post
    Hi, I'm guessing from your post you have an engine management light on?
    Yes

  9. #9
    Registered User jeff turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    I have nexpeak and that reads 260 engine codes
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2003 Number 182 MGZT V8
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

  10. #10
    #829 called 'Olive' David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Breugel, Holland
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    EVAP codes (but not P0443) can be caused on Mustangs by ill-fitting filler-caps, but not on our cars, I believe.
    Since you bought the car I guess on or about 14 September (??), which is when they stopped listing it, you should go back and point the dealer to the word "guarantee".
    Failing that, get him in any case to read the error code causing it and tell you what is wrong according to the code, and how he intends to fix it.
    Reason is that in the worse case of an EVAP error code such as P0433, a new ECU or ECU repair could be necessary. That costs money. Don't want to be 'doom-and-despondency', but now is the time to act, I think.

    ... of course the code may not be that at all, and it might just be an O2 sensor code, say . Even then, get the dealer to prove it, ... and fix it. You can't really sell a car with an EML up without explanation? Not sure about the UK, but here that is an APK (MOT) failure.

    David
    Last edited by David; 23-10-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •