Pair of rear springs

Thread: Pair of rear springs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pair of rear springs

I have a pair of ZT 260 rear springs for sale, I bought them for my ZTT a couple of years ago but found the rear sat to low so must be for a ZT.

They were fitted for about 3 weeks until I managed to get a pair of estate springs made so have probably done about 100 to 150 miles max.

I understand these are no longer available from Rimmers.

£100 for the pair. I can ship them via DHL at cost (£12) in the UK.

Steve
    Last edited by SCP440; 09-02-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    I have a pair of ZT 260 rear springs for sale, I bought them for my ZTT a couple of years ago but found the rear sat to low so must be for a ZT.

They were fitted for about 3 weeks until I managed to get a pair of estate springs made so have probably done about 100 to 150 miles max.

I understand these are no longer available from Rimmers.

£100 for the pair. I can ship them via DHL at cost (£12) in the UK.

Steve
    Steve
    Are they for a ZT 260 or Rover as they don't have the protection on them and they look different to the ones i bought? That'll be the bottom part on your picture, also the top part of your picture doesn't show it as flat
    Last edited by jeff turbo; 09-02-2021 at 05:01 PM.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

I purchased them from Rimmers for a ZT 260 and they confirmed they were correct when I said it was sitting too low and they even checked the spec and part numbers. No there is no protection but that is how they came. They fitted perfectly but just a bit soft for an Estate car. The ones I had made had no protection but it does not seem to affect the way they work. I suppose some plastic tubing could be slipped over the spring if wanted.

Steve

Ah right, just wondered as they look different to the ones I bought from Brown and Gammon. You are correct in that saloon ones aren't the same for a ZTT as Rimmers tried to sell me a pair for a ZTT instead
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

The whole rear spring situation is a but of a nightmare. The springs shown are certainly not Rover, since Rover ones do not have the closely compressed coils that the MG ones do. There are several types of MGR rears, and then the Xpart "variants"!

Of the real MGR saloon springs, RKB000480 are the early type, with the closer coils being at the bottom. These were prone to breakage and replaced by RKB000820, the last design, with the closer coils at the top.

An extract from Nick's excellent run-down of the rear (saloon) spring types:

"Xpart also apply the same for the rear spring in that part number RKB000820 fits all. There are numerous problems with this as they have managed to copy the original less durable spring design for MG Saloons and used the improved redesigned spring part number!

The Xpart spring top compared with an original RKB000820, note that the Xpart spring is longer and the tight coils face the bottom. Although the spring is longer it has a lower ride height fitted to an MG Saloon and even worse when fitted to an MG Tourer due to the extra weight. On the subject of the rear spring orientation the bottom coil is machined flat and can only be fitted one way up, this means you can not turn them upside down as they will not locate properly. "

Could explain why the springs do not look like the B&G springs?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The whole rear spring situation is a but of a nightmare. The springs shown are certainly not Rover, since Rover ones do not have the closely compressed coils that the MG ones do. There are several types of MGR ZT260 rears, and then the Xpart "variants"!

Of the real MGR ZT260 saloon springs, RKB000480 are the early type, with the closer coils being at the bottom. These were prone to breakage and replaced by RKB000820, the last design, with the closer coils at the top.

An extract from Nick's excellent run-down of the rear (saloon) spring types:

"Xpart also apply the same for the rear spring in that part number RKB000820 fits all. There are numerous problems with this as they have managed to copy the original less durable spring design for MG Saloons and used the improved redesigned spring part number!

The Xpart spring top compared with an original RKB000820, note that the Xpart spring is longer and the tight coils face the bottom. Although the spring is longer it has a lower ride height fitted to an MG Saloon and even worse when fitted to an MG Tourer due to the extra weight. On the subject of the rear spring orientation the bottom coil is machined flat and can only be fitted one way up, this means you can not turn them upside down as they will not locate properly. "

Could explain why the springs do not look like the B&G springs?

David
    Yes very much could be. The ones on the bottom of your picture are the springs supplied to me from Brown and Gammon and are the same as the broken ones I removed, but i have ordered a pair that Rimmers say are the original MG Rover springs, so will see how that springs out. My other V8 is due an MOT Thursday so I will have a look at those springs while it's up in the air and compare. Sorry if it sounds as though I'm casting doubt on your springs Steve, I'm not its just they're different and david has cleared that up
    Last edited by jeff turbo; 09-02-2021 at 06:32 PM.
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

Thanks for the clarification David. These are ground flat near the tight coils. The ones I removed from my car originally were of the same design and interestingly the coil at the bottom of the tightly wound part had broken. I only found it because I jacked the car up and could see the brake, this part is in a cup on the arm so is not easy to see.

Steve