New here

Thread: New here

Default New here

Hello, I've recently acquired an MG ZT260 that has been owned from new by the family of one of my good friends. I've always coveted the car and when they decided it was time to move it on they gave me first refusal.

It needs a bit of work; the LH front spring pan has rusted through, it has an intermittent misfire and the interior is mouldy due to a leaky sunroof.

Im hoping to glean some info from enthusiasts of the car, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the club. Spring pans are not replaceable, the whole suspension unit will have to be replaced, they are available from Rimmer Bros for a price but if you become a full member of the club Tim is arranging a bulk buy at the moment for a much reduced price.

Intermittent misfire could be due to COP's but it would be a good idea to get a code reader and often swapping over the COP's can identify that anyway.

Couple of weeks with a de-humidifier should sort out your damp problems, check for sunroof drain leaks (if fitted!).

What are the last three digits of your VIN?

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1272 View Post
    Hello, I've recently acquired an MG ZT260 that has been owned from new by the family of one of my good friends. I've always coveted the car and when they decided it was time to move it on they gave me first refusal.

It needs a bit of work; the LH front spring pan has rusted through, it has an intermittent misfire and the interior is mouldy due to a leaky sunroof.

Im hoping to glean some info from enthusiasts of the car, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    WELCOME to the Two-Sixties, Alan!

As Nich says, taking up full-membership would open up lots of information for you, some of it pretty much essential and otherwise unavailable, and of course the Two-Sixties club shop for more big savings.

David

Thanks for the welcome.
    What does full membership require? It does sound like it would be useful.

I shall check the vin on the weekend.
    I'm a bit clueless with rovers/mg's and hadn't expected to own one until this opportunity came up; 80's bmws is more my forte, usually underneath them with a welder!

I shall do a post on the car with some more info and pics when i get the chance.

If you get your completed questionnaire back to Tim and promise to join the MGOC you will get full membership.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Hiya Alan and welcome.
    Once a member there is a section on the forum called Diagnostics and Logical Problem Solving that you can use to help with the misfire and sunroof if you need it and to prevent expensive parts changing to solve the problem. This is a relatively new section and so any feedback regarding problems and solutions is welcomed. You would need to post a description of the misfire and the forum gives guidance on problem identity/specification. There is already feedback available on leaks etc.
    Tracing the misfire without a code reader may be difficult as identifying the cylinder(s) affected may not be possible, so moving coils and plugs to narrow down may not work. Even with a code reader it maybe that the problem cylinder location may not be identified or some other code is shown. This is where members on here will probably be able to help. So sign up and dive in.
    Last edited by Pete; 06-01-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

2004 MG ZT 260SE Pearl Black
    1960 MGA Roadster Flame Red