Rover 75 V8 development car, #185, For Sale - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rover 75 V8 development car, #185, For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Sure, Nicolas. It is in the Complete List entry too.
    I also think the price is low, particularly bearing in mind the double-stuff-up and the people responsible for doing that and the other work to restore it. If it were only LHD, ......

David
    Thanks for more supporting evidence of the value of my car David. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    A really handsome-looking car, with a solid history of servicing and refurbishing.
    I am correct in observing that it has ZT backboxes and bumper?
    Many thanks for that summary. I'm not sure about the back boxes any more as the exhaust was replaced during the work at Austin Garages, but you are absolutely right about the rear bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by scoubix View Post
    Memories of when it was being worked on by the Longbridge engineers...here is #185 cold-testing in Sweden, January 2004.

I thought I'd ask whether you would mind me adding this photo to those in my advert please? No worries if you'd rather I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilR75 View Post
    I thought I'd ask whether you would mind me adding this photo to those in my advert please? No worries if you'd rather I didn't.
    I'd rather not Phil, I'm sharing it here but it was sent to me by a former member of the engineering staff on the V8 programme and I'd like to keep it amongst us.
    I have a 2nd one I can send you by email if you'd like. Let me know your email address through a PM...
    Last edited by scoubix; 27-08-2020 at 01:20 AM.
    1999 2.5 V6 Rover 75 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
    2004 4.6 V8 MG ZT-T (the only known auto ZT-T V8) - LHD
    1993 2.7 V6 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
    1993 Rover 216 GSi
    1975 Rover P6 3500

Quote Originally Posted by PhilR75 View Post
    Wow! Many thanks for the photo. Maybe we were on some of the same trips? I went cold testing in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Really appreciate the photo. Do you remember the SDV number?
    I'm not the one who took that picture, as explained previously, so no we were not on the same trips ;-)
    Didn't know you used to work for MGR. I never did
    There was no SDV numbers on the 75 V8 development cars, as they were production MG cars straight out of the production line with proper SARRX VIN plates, and then being worked on in the Flightshed where the changes, such as suspension, automatic gearbox, etc...was carried out. This was confirmed to me by Rob Oldaker and several members of the V8 engineering team.

FYI, my own research on the V8 program has turned up with the following cars being 75 V8 development cars out of MG cars :

• #160 was BU53RXJ (RHD Tourer, now scrapped)
    • #161 was BU53RXK (LHD saloon, now in Sweden, owned by Olof over here)
    • #185 was BU53RXP (RHD saloon, yours)
    • #186 was BU53RXL (LHD saloon, now in Spain, don't know the owner)
    • #190 was BU53RXR (LHD Tourer, mine)
    • #192 was BU53RXT (RHD saloon, this one has yet to be confirmed as being a 75 V8 car but its VIN and reg follow the pattern of previous cars)

And then of course, we can add #215 to that list, the actual first properly-dressed 75 V8 which was the Geneva show car, and which was also born as an MG ZT 260.

Here's the very first 75 V8 development car, #160, when scrapped. Evidenced as being a 75 V8 development car by the same 17'' Mirage wheels as other 75 V8 development cars, Rover-badged tailgate, Rover bumpers, chrome lines...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scoubix; 27-08-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    1999 2.5 V6 Rover 75 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
    2004 4.6 V8 MG ZT-T (the only known auto ZT-T V8) - LHD
    1993 2.7 V6 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
    1993 Rover 216 GSi
    1975 Rover P6 3500

Quote Originally Posted by scoubix View Post
    I'm not the one who took that picture, as explained previously, so no we were not on the same trips ;-)
    Didn't know you used to work for MGR. I never did
    There was no SDV numbers on the 75 V8 development cars, as they were production MG cars straight out of the production line with proper SARRX VIN plates, and then being worked on in the Flightshed where the changes, such as suspension, automatic gearbox, etc...was carried out. This was confirmed to me by Rob Oldaker and several members of the V8 engineering team.

FYI, my own research on the V8 program has turned up with the following cars being 75 V8 development cars out of MG cars :

• #160 was BU53RXJ (RHD Tourer, now scrapped)
    • #161 was BU53RXK (LHD saloon, now in Sweden, owned by Olof over here)
    • #185 was BU53RXP (RHD saloon, yours)
    • #186 was BU53RXL (LHD saloon, now in Spain, don't know the owner)
    • #190 was BU53RXR (LHD Tourer, mine)
    • #192 was BU53RXT (RHD saloon, this one has yet to be confirmed as being a 75 V8 car but its VIN and reg follow the pattern of previous cars)

And then of course, we can add #215 to that list, the actual first properly-dressed 75 V8 which was the Geneva show car, and which was also born as an MG ZT 260.

Here's the very first 75 V8 development car, #160, when scrapped. Evidenced as being a 75 V8 development car by the same 17'' Mirage wheels as other 75 V8 development cars, Rover-badged tailgate, Rover bumpers, chrome lines...
    Sorry, I jumped to the wrong conclusion, I did get that you hadn't taken the photo but thought you might have been there anyway. :-)

I didn't work for MGR either, but ran the company that delivered all of MGR's outsourced engine management system calibration work apart from the V8 (some K4 models, completion of 2.0 R75 KV6, MG ZS180, ZT 190, ZT160 and their OBD calibrations for all K4 and all but the 2.5 KV6 75). I have some very happy memories of those days, where I too was based in our company's office in the Flight Shed.

Many thanks for all that interesting detail on the various V8 development cars. I wonder whether between all the people on this site like you, there doesn't exist more information than in the books that have so far been written on the 75 and ZT(T) models. I was told a while ago on this site that mine was the first development car, but clearly it wasn't. The photo of #160 is a really sad one, but thanks for the history lesson which was great!

Thanks to everyone for all of the help and interesting information about the car. I can now say that it has been sold to Dominic 22, which feels good because he was in such a large part responsible for making it the car it is today. I can see myself becoming an owner of a Rover 75 V8 again at some point in the future though.

Some additional photos of #185 testing in Sweden.

IMG_3940.jpgIMG_3960.jpg
    Life's too short to drive boring cars!

MG ZT 260 #442 in XPower Grey