New ownership of #347 and running problems - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New ownership of #347 and running problems

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    You might be surprised at how little difference removing the cats make, I know someone who had a pipe made up for a Saab and he reckoned the only difference was it would Rev easier at high rpm and you don't Rev these engines. On a plus he didn't have to refit the cat for the MOT as it would pass without it fitted (just).

Steve
    the engine in this car is forged I believe so you can rev the nuts off it

I am sure Scooter said there was a reason not to over Rev these engines, maybe I misread it?

Steve

DO NOT under any circumstances over rev these engines, original engines do not have forged internals. Standard con rods and bolts are weak and not up to over revving.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

With circa 400bhp i'm not removing the cats to try and chase anymore power. They are showing some signs of damage so taking the opportunity to start the progress of replacing the exhaust system for a wider bore stainless one (was thinking 3", though it's tight over the axle so looks like 2&3/4'' will likely be the max) and fabrication replacing the cats and centre section is fairly straight forward. The rear section is more effort and cost and will be done once I know the car is in full health and saved some more pennies!

I'm not looking to rev the nuts off her but the history and spec of past engine replacement and rebuild confirms she has a forged short block bottom end, forged pistons & con rods from Sean Hyland Motorsport amongst a number of other upgrades. So she 'should' be pretty robust.

Yep. £10/11k for a supercharged low mileage 260 was always alarming low. I hope it's nothing too serious, but make sure you have a repairs pot budgeted

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    I am sure Scooter said there was a reason not to over Rev these engines, maybe I misread it?

Steve
    on a standard engine yes there is, see the comment from Nich, but with a forged bottom end there is no risk of a conrod making a bid for freedom. There is no power after 5K revs on these engines but there is no risk over that figure with a forged unit

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    DO NOT under any circumstances over rev these engines, original engines do not have forged internals. Standard con rods and bolts are weak and not up to over revving.

Nich.

Can someone actually clarify what exactly would constitute an over rev? Trackday with 3hrs sat on the redline? Accidental blip/misshift? Hitting the limiter in any way ever just once?