New ownership of #347 and running problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ownership of #347 and running problems

Unhappy New ownership of #347 and running problems

Hi all. So after regretfully selling my old 260 #471 back in 2014 I have now got back into ownership having picked up #347 MG ZT 400 SE at Anglia Car Auctions on the 21st June. I've had one blissful run out in the car and now hit problems . (I know buying at auction has its risks!).

I had the car delivered as i'm down on the South Coast in Worthing and work/logistics were a challenge. When it arrived the fuel gauge was reading below empty so I drove her straight to my nearest petrol station but she stalled twice on the way (guessing fuel moving round the tank starved her) but thankfully restarted and I manged to get her onto the forecourt for fuel. I brimmed her tank with Tesco 99 octane and headed off for a drive and she pulled really well not missing a beat, so returned home happy as Larry.

I took her out for a second run the following day and did a fairly hard pull in her but with some mechanical sympathy and not flat to the floor, given she new to me and I understand she's recently had and new block and rebuild earlier in the year. And then she went from what felt like 400hp to 100hp and stayed there . There's no warning lights on the dash but it feels like the engines redistricted. I thought she was down a cylinder as she seems to have developed a slightly lumpy stutter or misfire but it is subtle. I've had it over to my mechanic for a initial quick look this morning with thoughts on plugs, or injectors as a first port of call. Having checked the injectors they all seem to be ticking away but only have a subtle impact when you disconnect each one. Taking the plugs out is more involved than we had time for this morning but will be done. The concern is she may be down on compression. However one thought is that she feels that she holding back and on a test drive if you give her enough of a prod with higher revs she clears her throat and will spin the wheels off down the road. This then sows doubt on compression being an issue (though not ruled out). Holding your hand over the exhaust when reved there seem very little flow so we're wondering with previous engine issues and work whether a cat(s) have blown and the exhaust is actually blocked? Given the work done the engine "should" be sound! We're going to take the exhaust system/cats out next week and investigate as a starting point but I'm interested if anyone may have had similar or any thoughts before we have to start stripping her back.

Also may be for another thread but the more digging i'm doing it seems she's had a fair bit of history with having had a blow engine originally (I've seen autobahn mentioned!?). I have paperwork detailing an engine install and rebuild from January but it is just an invoice and not the best I've seen as it has very little detail on specifics done (I plan to call the garage up Monday to see if they can give me anything more to go on). I'd welcome any direction to posts which may shed more light on this car and advice (I'm finding bits and pieces but it a bit of a jigsaw).

Really hoping she's not a basket case as she in great condition and spec. I'm happy to invest in her but don't have a bottomless pit of funds so this is a concern so early into ownership.

Cheers,
    Alex

Have you got a code reader with live information? Look at the fuel pressure while it is running and the lambda readings, these should give you an idea of what is going on. As you rev it the pressure should rise, a blocked or loose filter could cause low pressure.

Steve

I know my mate has a code reader. Whether it gives live data I'm not sure. Will raise it with him. Cheers.

Alex

For what they cost these are a good investment. Even if you don't have the ability or tools to fix the problem if you know what the problem is that can save time and money at a garage. I had a coil pack go on mine not long after I bought the car, no way of knowing which but the code reader told me the cylinder that was misfiring, luckily I had a spare coil pack and I had replaced it and I was on route in 15 mins.

Steve

This is the Jamsport car with a lot of questionable history.

wnj516

Hi , hope you haven't bought a load of trouble, from what you describe i would first be looking at the fuel pressure which will need a code reader displaying live data to get it from a facelifted model, no schradar valve on the fuel rail.
    It should be between 30-40 psi or mine is at approx 250 KPs, if low this could be down to a clogged fuel filter or the filter housing comming loose.
    WNJ516William Nigel Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexZT260 View Post
    .....................I'd welcome any direction to posts which may shed more light on this car and advice (I'm finding bits and pieces but it a bit of a jigsaw).

Cheers,
    Alex
    Hi Alex, welcome back.

#347 was originally owned by GeoffW who had it S/C'd and mapped by Jamsport.
    It was then owned by Tomcat22.
    and then jdtp93.

It looks as if the map wasn't great and the car suffered piston/plug damage when run at max revs on the autobahn.

You've probably already discovered all of this anyway.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Some background reading, Alex. (I think tomcat22 was the owner before jdtp93):

See: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10709-347-misfire-or-even-worse
    and this: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...-chain-tension
    and most recently, this: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?16916-New-engine-for-a-ZT-400

Your theory about the cats sounds like it could be good. I once bought a V6 Rover 75 Tourer with a blown up engine (knowingly), and quite a while after the engine change, it wouldn't rev over 2500 rpm ! Almost totally blocked cat. No warning lights oddly enough.

David
    Last edited by David; 28-06-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Some background reading, Alex. (I think tomcat22 was the owner before jdtp93):

See: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10709-347-misfire-or-even-worse
    and this: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...-chain-tension
    and most recently, this: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?16916-New-engine-for-a-ZT-400

Your theory about the cats sounds like it could be good. I once bought a V6 Rover 75 Tourer with a blown up engine (knowingly), and quite a while after the engine change, it wouldn't rev over 2500 rpm ! Almost totally blocked cat. No warning lights oddly enough.

David
    Post amended, thanks David.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Before cats block an exhaust they usually start to rattle. I had one start rattling on an Omega years ago, it was not to bad but annoying with the window open. Luckily for me I went to get the tracking done and the mechanic commented on the noise and said I should get it fixed. I removed it and was amazed to find how the outlet was 80% blocked by the failing cat, a new cat and the car felt like I had doubled the HP.

The usual cause for a cat falling apart is a misfire or ford's ( not the make of car but the shallow water crossing) the thermal shock apparently.

Steve