New ownership of #347 and running problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New ownership of #347 and running problems

Thanks all for the info and thoughts. I've spent hours today going through a piecing together the history of #347. It seems she's had her troubles! Well I can't afford to now dump and run so in for the long hall and to get her sorted and enjoyed I hope!
    Given she's effectively now had 3 engines i'm hoping my latest issue is not relating to the internals. Though I have some niggling doubts over the engine map and the last engine rebuild/install as having had her on the ramp yesterday at my mates garage there's some tell tail signs of a rush job and/or negligence. Such as power steering leak due to clips broken and a bracket completely missing leaving things to move around (a lot!) and joints seeping. Also bolts missing in a few places on initial inspection! Will be giving her a through going over now to sort these bits and a detailed look for anything else.
    I'm thinking the plan of action based on what I know will be:
    1. Check the exhaust/cats for damage/blockage. There's plenty of chance given her history of running issues they have been damaged along the way. I did hear on my first run and hard(ish) pull a metallic type rattle sound where I initially thought something metal like a heat shield had fallen off and was dragging under the car but it stopped after a few seconds and never returned. This may have been a cat giving out but I did not get a running issue at that time and just hoped it was a one off quirk, or belt slipping and making an odd sound (ignorance is bliss... well at least initially!). If a cat has failed we can strip it out and see how she runs then. Effectively de-catting her has it's appeal anyway but will have to worry about the MOT later!
    2. Next will be seeing what the plugs look like and replacing if required. If they are in poor condition it will raise further questions but worth initial investigation.
    3. If neither of the above are successful then it'll be a compression test.
    4. If compression is good then coils maybe. They all seem to be ticking away so doubt this will be a cause at this stage.
    5. Check fueling is ok.
    6. Will get a code reader on her as well and check for errors.
    5. My next consideration is whether the map is any good. My mate/mechanic is experienced with mapping and does a lot of Jap tuning but I have read that Dreadnought have invested a lot in mapping S/C ZT's. However i'm not sure they'll map an install they've not done? They are also a 500 mile drive to the other end of the country, though if I can get her running satisfactorily a road trip would be tempting!
    One other question I have is for S/C cars, would there be an expectation they should have an up-rated Head Gasket fitted or is standard considered acceptable. The invoice on the paperwork I have for the last install/rebuild says Head Gasket kit but that's it. I am going to call the garage up to see if they can give me any more detail. Thanks.

On 5 Alex, Dreadnought do not look at installs by others. Your best bet is Chris Flanagan or Manjit Saggu. Both will have the knowledge to assist. The existing head gasket should be okay but if its been off a few times a replacement is always a yes.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Thanks Tim.

Ok status update on investigations today. We've found the injector plugs are so worn, assume due to being taken on and off may time due to work undertaken that 3 wont hold and just fall off in your hand! Also 1 of the coil plugs wont hold in place. We figure this in it's own right would easily cause misfire. Pushing everything on as best as possible sees the car rev freely. Have also had the exhaust off and CATs are showing signs of wear but are still all there and flow seems reasonable! Not sure if the back boxes may be an issue and part blocked but figure its best to sort plugs first. So plan is to:

1. Replace the injector plugs.
    2. Fit new coil plugs.
    3. Will probably De-CAT her while the exhaust is off and save the CATs.

Couple of questions before I start searching the web.:
    1. Does anyone know a UK stockist for coil pack plugs, or will I need to source from the U.S.?
    2. Anyone know if De-CAT pipes are available for the 260 or we will need to make some up?

Thanks.

Rimmers stock the colls https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-NEL000010 though might be better with as set of MSD colls https://www.gooze.com/

Cats are, if I remember correctly sports cats, not sure of benefit of changing if they are ok

Coil details are in the Index
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Link with the partnumber on the Gooze site for MSD's, Alex: https://www.gooze.com/5649/8242-msd-...mber=MSD-82428

David

Thanks for the info guys. It the actual electrical connection plugs that go onto the coils thats needed though rather than the coils themselves. Think these are the jobbies but would ideally like to get them from the UK if poss: http://www.autolumination.com/wiring...-connector.htm

Get the point regarding the Cats but like the idea of simplifying the system and a bit more noise!

These look like the injector plugs
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Fuel-I...-/263046008741

These people might be worth a call for a UK supplier.
    http://trigger-wheels.com/store/cont...n-uk/p250.html

Steve

wnj516

Good to know your well on your way to sorting out the problems and then enjoy the car.
    Regarding the plugs maybe someone has a secondhand engine harness, this should have all those plugs, just a thought.
    WNJ516William Nigel Jenkins.

Well injector and coil plugs sourced. Hopfully they'll be with me in the next few days and next week we can sort that. If that gets her running properly will make some decat pipes up for her as part of a two phased stainless system, the more complex x-pipe and part over the axles can come when I know she's running right.

Fingers crossed it's just a bit of fettling required now.

You might be surprised at how little difference removing the cats make, I know someone who had a pipe made up for a Saab and he reckoned the only difference was it would Rev easier at high rpm and you don't Rev these engines. On a plus he didn't have to refit the cat for the MOT as it would pass without it fitted (just).

Steve