Hi all. So after regretfully selling my old 260 #471 back in 2014 I have now got back into ownership having picked up #347 MG ZT 400 SE at Anglia Car Auctions on the 21st June. I've had one blissful run out in the car and now hit problems . (I know buying at auction has its risks!).

I had the car delivered as i'm down on the South Coast in Worthing and work/logistics were a challenge. When it arrived the fuel gauge was reading below empty so I drove her straight to my nearest petrol station but she stalled twice on the way (guessing fuel moving round the tank starved her) but thankfully restarted and I manged to get her onto the forecourt for fuel. I brimmed her tank with Tesco 99 octane and headed off for a drive and she pulled really well not missing a beat, so returned home happy as Larry.

I took her out for a second run the following day and did a fairly hard pull in her but with some mechanical sympathy and not flat to the floor, given she new to me and I understand she's recently had and new block and rebuild earlier in the year. And then she went from what felt like 400hp to 100hp and stayed there . There's no warning lights on the dash but it feels like the engines redistricted. I thought she was down a cylinder as she seems to have developed a slightly lumpy stutter or misfire but it is subtle. I've had it over to my mechanic for a initial quick look this morning with thoughts on plugs, or injectors as a first port of call. Having checked the injectors they all seem to be ticking away but only have a subtle impact when you disconnect each one. Taking the plugs out is more involved than we had time for this morning but will be done. The concern is she may be down on compression. However one thought is that she feels that she holding back and on a test drive if you give her enough of a prod with higher revs she clears her throat and will spin the wheels off down the road. This then sows doubt on compression being an issue (though not ruled out). Holding your hand over the exhaust when reved there seem very little flow so we're wondering with previous engine issues and work whether a cat(s) have blown and the exhaust is actually blocked? Given the work done the engine "should" be sound! We're going to take the exhaust system/cats out next week and investigate as a starting point but I'm interested if anyone may have had similar or any thoughts before we have to start stripping her back.

Also may be for another thread but the more digging i'm doing it seems she's had a fair bit of history with having had a blow engine originally (I've seen autobahn mentioned!?). I have paperwork detailing an engine install and rebuild from January but it is just an invoice and not the best I've seen as it has very little detail on specifics done (I plan to call the garage up Monday to see if they can give me anything more to go on). I'd welcome any direction to posts which may shed more light on this car and advice (I'm finding bits and pieces but it a bit of a jigsaw).

Really hoping she's not a basket case as she in great condition and spec. I'm happy to invest in her but don't have a bottomless pit of funds so this is a concern so early into ownership.

Cheers,
Alex