looking exhaust line - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking exhaust line

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Has anybody actually had an exhaust system or part of it rust through on one of these cars? The system on mine though a little rusty around some of the welds is still in good condition after all this time and close too 100k miles.

My guess it will be the catalysts that fail first or a lambda bung gets damaged removing a failed sensor.

Seems odd they used stainless on these cars but maybe there was a reason?

Steve
    Steve, my back boxes have holes in them where the id plate is tack welded on. Could get a s/s set made up but it is the cats that will define the system and MGR ones (from Wilcox) will soon be NLA. Cats don't last forever so I've decided to replace the whole exhaust system with NOS MGR bits. If they last another 15 years then the system will probably survive my last breath.

Someone in MGR at some point in the past told me they were 419 and if they are not then they must be top class mild steel (might be galvanised mild steel?). 15 years for MS is very, very, very good.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Fever View Post

I do however have a pair of saloon back boxes in my loft that have been dry stored since 2006 when i bought the car if anyone needs them.
    Do you still have the back boxes?

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
    Do you still have the back boxes?
    Hi Kev,

Yes, i'd need to dig them out as they are right at the back of the loft. I have no need of them & actually you don't look to be too far away from me (i am in Braintree, Essex) so reasonable for collection.

They were in fair condition when they came of the car in '06 (covered about 80k miles). I'll dig them out to make sure they are still OK (they were when i moved house in 2010 & they were put in the loft). If they are alright, how does £50.00 sound?
    Andrew Phillips
    MGF - 'Scarlet Fever'
    ZT 260 - 'Old number 27'
    ZS 180 - aka rolling restoration...

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Fever View Post
    Hi Kev,

They were in fair condition when they came of the car in '06 (covered about 80k miles). I'll dig them out to make sure they are still OK (they were when i moved house in 2010 & they were put in the loft). If they are alright, how does £50.00 sound?
    Okay dokey, but you pay for the petrol ;-)

Drop me a line when you can,

Kev

Bonjour Merci pour votre réponse je suis de france.

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Has anybody actually had an exhaust system or part of it rust through on one of these cars? The system on mine though a little rusty around some of the welds is still in good condition after all this time and close too 100k miles.

My guess it will be the catalysts that fail first or a lambda bung gets damaged removing a failed sensor.

Steve
    Steve,

What is the life-span of a catalyst (yes, it will depend on usage and shorter journey's will produce more poison)?

How can one tell if they are at the end of their life (sulphur/rotten egg smell)?

Kev

In my experience if the exhaust is aloud to get hot by at least one decent run a month the cats should last many years.

Last year I had to replace the cat on a friends Ford to get it through an MOT, this car is used for a weekly shopping run, weekend family activity and once a month it gets a 200 mile run so his wife can visit her parents. The car has been owned since it was a year old, it has covered 140k miles and is 15 years old.

The cat needs to get up to full working temp to burn off all the rubbish and this can 5 mins so that quick run to the shops or if you only work 10 mins from home it is unlikely to last long if that is its main use. The other problem can be the case the catalyst is enclosed in, luckily on our cars this seems to be stainless steel but this will also degrade with the hot cold cycling especially if it gets splashed with or submerged in water.

The other thing to avoid is any impact on the exhaust system, this can shatter the cat, if you can here a rattle this is often the problem.

The only way to know if it is near the end of its life is to see how it does at the MOT, if the tester has to get it hot by revving it it will well past its best. If it passes on idle with no more than a 5 min run before the test it has plenty of life in it

Steve
    Last edited by SCP440; 01-10-2020 at 08:44 PM.