Brake pad recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake pad recommendations

Yes the amount of knock of EBC product on the market nearly put them out of business. I have one of the main distributors a mile from my house and they were telling me recently that they are still getting customers showing them samples. The problem was who ever was making it used poor quality pads just painted in the various colors they sell. Probably not a problem on a car rarely driven hard but if you bought pads to upgrade your braking system because of engine upgrades or you drive hard potentialy lethal. The biggest problem was I understand was material coming away from the the backing plate and poor performance.
    Personally I find EBC products work well.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Yes the amount of knock of EBC product on the market nearly put them out of business. I have one of the main distributors a mile from my house and they were telling me recently that they are still getting customers showing them samples. The problem was who ever was making it used poor quality pads just painted in the various colors they sell. Probably not a problem on a car rarely driven hard but if you bought pads to upgrade your braking system because of engine upgrades or you drive hard potentialy lethal. The biggest problem was I understand was material coming away from the the backing plate and poor performance.
    Personally I find EBC products work well.

Steve
    Second that Steve.

Kev

I found all their pads were so hard they just ate discs. Waste of my time with expensive AP racing/Alcon rotors being chewed up. Pads produced minimal dust I suppose and might as well have been made of diamond!
    Much preferred the softer compounds of other brands which wore the pads faster then the disc, rather than the other way round!

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    I found all their pads were so hard they just ate discs. Waste of my time with expensive AP racing/Alcon rotors being chewed up. Pads produced minimal dust I suppose and might as well have been made of diamond!
    Much preferred the softer compounds of other brands which wore the pads faster then the disc, rather than the other way round!
    EBC do differing compounds including soft.

Kev

T16 what colour pads were you using and were they good quality discs? The Yellow Stuff can eat discs but unless you track day your car you don't need something that hard. I use Red Stuff on my 260 and have found the disc ware no worse than anything else with the assurance of better brakes under hard conditions. 2 Years ago I found I had no fade on the Mountain passes in Switzerland where as I have had problems before with other cars. I fitted new discs all round on my car 33k miles ago and the discs are still in good condition, I have changed the pads once in that time at about 20k.

If you want brakes that have a real bite you can use Green Stuff but it is not great under extremes and will ware a bit more, I use Green stuff in my Jensen, the brakes on these are tiny compared with a modern car of the same size and weight and these sharpen up the pedal and allow me to lock the wheels where I would struggle before.

Steve

Well I went with the Red Stuff pads to see how they get on. So far done about 50 miles or so local driving with no big stops as per the recommendations for bedding in. After 100 or so miles they say to perform hard braking from 60 down to 20/30mph a couple of times to finalise the bedding in process. I shall report back my review of their performance once I've managed to put some more miles and proper braking into them.

Why haven't you become a full member yet Marc?

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Hi Nic,

I sent the form a few weeks ago to Tim but haven't heard back. I did send it from my mobile so maybe there was a compatibility issue, so I have sent it again today from my laptop. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

Not sure what happened there Marc but all sorted. Welcome to greenness

Quote Originally Posted by The New Trixie-Lee View Post
    Hi Nic,

I sent the form a few weeks ago to Tim but haven't heard back. I did send it from my mobile so maybe there was a compatibility issue, so I have sent it again today from my laptop. Hopefully I will hear back soon.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.