Brake pad recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake pad recommendations

Default Brake pad recommendations

Hi guys,

Just had a front caliper start to bind up on #51 so I'm going to buy a caliper rebuild kit and new pads as a matter of course. The system will get a full fluid flush and bleed and I'm going to replace the flexis while I'm at it for piece of mind. Does anyone have any recommendations on brake pads? I'm thinking EBC redstuff, or will their Ultimax be sufficient? Also as I'm away from home where all my tools and Haynes manual are, could some kind soul please post up the torque figures for the caliper attachment bolts, caliper sliders and wheel nuts please?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

My own personal opinion having used EBC in the past is I think they are **** and wouldnt go near them again.
    I found Ferodo a much better pad for my personal tastes, and Carbotech XP8 were alright too I guess. (they make up custom sizes to anything you want)
    Now as I get even older, and do not take anything on a track, I prefer the nice bite from cold of the OE friction material.
    1) guide pins 28nm
    2) Hose to caliper 16nm
    3) Caliper to Hub 100nm
    4) Torx bolt for disc 33nm
    5) wheel nuts 125nm
    Last edited by T16; 05-04-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Tried Mintex and Pagid (now fitted), and found them fine for normal use. Only real "problem" I had , was that the Mintex pads squeaked on the back pads when braking in reverse only. May just have been my car. Although changing to Pagids resolved it, I did change the pins and saddle-plates for Elise ones at the same time, which may also have had something to do with it?

Off topic a bit, Marc, is to advise you to get a RAVE CD which is the electronic Workshop Manual really, and contains most torque settings etc. (some are even accurate!). Available from XPart dealers or, in lock-down times: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-R75...IAAOSwCcZaDGdf .

David
    Last edited by David; 06-04-2020 at 10:10 AM.

David do you have the part numbers for the pins and saddle plats to hand. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartinSClark View Post
    David do you have the part numbers for the pins and saddle plats to hand. Many thanks
    Lotus Elise version, Used on the fronts on the Lotus, rears on our cars of course. Not expensive (that price is for one wheel, though) :
    https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/brak...er-plate-pins/
    Excellent service when I used them in the past.

Needed to very slightly file them (half a mm -ish) to fit, as others have advised is necessary.

David
    Last edited by David; 06-04-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Tried Mintex and Pagid (now fitted), and found them fine for normal use. Only real "problem" I had , was that the Mintex pads squeaked on the back pads when braking in reverse only. May just have been my car. Although changing to Pagids resolved it, I did change the pins and saddle-plates for Elise ones at the same time, which may also have had something to do with it?

Off topic a bit, Marc, is to advise you to get a RAVE CD which is the electronic Workshop Manual really, and contains most torque settings etc. (some are even accurate!). Available from XPart dealers or, in lock-down times: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-R75...IAAOSwCcZaDGdf .

David
    Many thanks for everyone's suggestions, and I'll look into this RAVE CD. I mean, I've got a few rave CDs from the 90s, but I'm sure you mean something completely different 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    My own personal opinion having used EBC in the past is I think they are **** and wouldnt go near them again.
    I found Ferodo a much better pad for my personal tastes, and Carbotech XP8 were alright too I guess. (they make up custom sizes to anything you want)
    Now as I get even older, and do not take anything on a track, I prefer the nice bite from cold of the OE friction material.
    1) guide pins 28nm
    2) Hose to caliper 16nm
    3) Caliper to Hub 100nm
    4) Torx bolt for disc 33nm
    5) wheel nuts 125nm
    Thanks so much for those torque values 👍

Quote Originally Posted by The New Trixie-Lee View Post
    Many thanks for everyone's suggestions, and I'll look into this RAVE CD. I mean, I've got a few rave CDs from the 90s, but I'm sure you mean something completely different 藍
    ZAA000400, "Models Rover 75 / MG ZT / MG ZT 260 / V8", re-issued by Xpart 2017.
    Last edited by David; 06-04-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Many thanks David

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    There was lot of knock off EBC stuff a couple of years back. So much so that the recommendation was to buy from EBC direct. I don't know who or where they make the pads.

Ferodo - my set squeal at low speeds and is especially annoying in covered car parks but they do seem a bit quieter recently.

regards,

Kev