Brake pad recommendations

Thread: Brake pad recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I found all their pads were so hard they just ate discs. Waste of my time with expensive AP racing/Alcon rotors being chewed up. Pads produced minimal dust I suppose and might as well have been made of diamond!
    Much preferred the softer compounds of other brands which wore the pads faster then the disc, rather than the other way round!

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    I found all their pads were so hard they just ate discs. Waste of my time with expensive AP racing/Alcon rotors being chewed up. Pads produced minimal dust I suppose and might as well have been made of diamond!
    Much preferred the softer compounds of other brands which wore the pads faster then the disc, rather than the other way round!
    EBC do differing compounds including soft.

Kev

T16 what colour pads were you using and were they good quality discs? The Yellow Stuff can eat discs but unless you track day your car you don't need something that hard. I use Red Stuff on my 260 and have found the disc ware no worse than anything else with the assurance of better brakes under hard conditions. 2 Years ago I found I had no fade on the Mountain passes in Switzerland where as I have had problems before with other cars. I fitted new discs all round on my car 33k miles ago and the discs are still in good condition, I have changed the pads once in that time at about 20k.

If you want brakes that have a real bite you can use Green Stuff but it is not great under extremes and will ware a bit more, I use Green stuff in my Jensen, the brakes on these are tiny compared with a modern car of the same size and weight and these sharpen up the pedal and allow me to lock the wheels where I would struggle before.

Steve