Rover V8 premium bumper chrome surround. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rover V8 premium bumper chrome surround.

Quote Originally Posted by EbbwBen View Post
    ... Yes I probably will, although I'll give the seller of #648 a few more days to get back to me first. .. probably from Stainless I would have thought. Although an original would still be preferable...
    I believe the originals are stainless, not chromed anyway. Looking at the ad photos of #648, it appears still to have its surround intact?

David

MGF Reg. Rep - S.Wales

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I believe the originals are stainless, not chromed anyway. Looking at the ad photos of #648, it appears still to have its surround intact?

David
    Yes, I hope so, I've not been to see it yet.

I sent an email last week which hasn't been replied to yet, also a txt message when I got no answer on the phone number. I sometimes wonder if people really want to sell things....

The surround is for one I viewed yesterday, it's only just down the road from me, and not on your list or advertised on the internet at all. When I queried him he asked me not to pass any details on - which I found very strange, but as I'm very interested in the car I decided to accept this. Besides, it's less competition!!

I've also viewed #595 in Biddestone, and can give you a condition report on it if you like -

It's missing the bumper surround also(!) It has had new brakes and tyres all round, and a very comprehensive service history. Mechanically it seems very sound. It has the original exhausts and they're starting to show their age, although solid. The mirrors aren't working and the chrome covers are quite pitted. There are quite a few stone chips on the bodywork (one or two on the bonnet with some surface rust) and some tiny areas dabbed (badly) with touch-up paint. The near-side plastic roof channel finisher is lifting at the front, and beginning to discolour. The IPK is unreadable.
    It's not as high spec as the one near me, either - no sunroof, xenons, headlamp washers or rear blind. Airbag light is on (probably the under seat connector) Also the rear folding seat won't lock on the drivers side, and it's in the higher tax bracket.

He told me the only reason he bought it was because his son said it would be a good short-term investment. (get the feeling it's not his cup of tea).

So IMO he would have to drop the price again for me to be properly interested, given that he is asking more than they are for the one near me and #648

I don't think he'll come down in price, either, as he kept banging on about how someone in New Zealand is constantly hounding him to send it out there... but he doesn't want to...

Another interesting thing about #595 is that the heating system is not the same as the other V8's I've seen. It has two Rover 45 V6 mixing valves, and the dash has the normal system's thumbwheel.

I can't believe he's changed it, the guy does not have a clue about this or any of the other cars he has - they're just hunks of metal "investments" he drives maybe once a year.
    Last edited by EbbwBen; 13-10-2019 at 06:27 PM.

I know the owner of #595 claimed the system was "all wrong" (probably because he was looking for / been sold a MG ZT260 mixer valve, not the different R75V8 one, at a tad under £600 quid). He had quite a lot of leeway to invest some money on top of the 'hammer-price' at last year's auction though. All Rovers including the V8 should have the thumbwheel of course, unlike the ZT 260, but that special L/R mixer 4-pipe-valve. None should have a bodge constructed from R45 valves!

Rover mixer valve, 1 actuator motor, 2 valves, "iffy"nylon tracked actuator-peg (LHD version).

IMG_1289.jpg

All the part numbers of the valves etc are here, but drop me a line by PM if you need any info, which may well not be visible to you, so long as you promise to join as a full member when you get a car !!

David
    Last edited by David; 13-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.

MGF Reg. Rep - S.Wales

That's interesting.

The platinum 75 I went to look at in Buckinghamshire had the V8 badge, not the thumbwheel.

Therefore I'd just believed (wrongly) they were the same as the ZT 260's.

Now I think of it, the one near me has a thumbwheel too!!

He told me that it had two valves and they only found replacements by taking the part numbers off the old ones, which were the same as the ones on the R45 V6!

So I was right when I though he didn't really know anything. He did seem to be "full of it" so to speak.

10k was a laugh.... 8k is still a chuckle. Basically he bought at auction and lost. (Doubt he will accept that, though).

You never know, if he'll let it go cheap enough I may "rescue" it....

And, yes I'll definitely be a full member - probably before I make the actual purchase!

Ben, I don't have a spare surround but I do have three OEM premium bumpers complete with chrome surround. To be honest I don't really need three, one is for my Rover 75 CDTi, one would be a just in case spare and the third I could be tempted to sell if it helped you secure the car you want. Let me know if you are interested Regards John

MGF Reg. Rep - S.Wales

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Ben, I don't have a spare surround but I do have three OEM premium bumpers complete with chrome surround. To be honest I don't really need three, one is for my Rover 75 CDTi, one would be a just in case spare and the third I could be tempted to sell if it helped you secure the car you want. Let me know if you are interested Regards John
    Thank-you John, that's very good of you, and yes - I'm interested!

FYI, Just added a photo of the R75V8 L/R mixer valve to my earlier post,

David

MGF Reg. Rep - S.Wales

FYI, Just added a photo of the R75V8 L/R mixer valve to my earlier post,

David
    Hmmm.... almost looks like an adapted VIS motor...

Quote Originally Posted by EbbwBen View Post
    Hmmm.... almost looks like an adapted VIS motor...
    Believe me, in real life it doesn't!

David

MGF Reg. Rep - S.Wales

Believe me, in real life it doesn't!

David
    I'm sure it's not.. that would be waaaay too easy!!