Colours of the V8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colours of the V8

Default Colours of the V8

Do any of you fine upstanding MG/ROVER statisticians happen to know how many V8s were made and in what colour they left the line?

I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere but I cannot find it.

I'm specifically interested in the Green RHD cars, Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by SWISSTONY View Post
    Do any of you fine upstanding MG/ROVER statisticians happen to know how many V8s were made and in what colour they left the line?
    ... I'm specifically interested in the Green RHD cars, Many thanks in advance.
    ZT 260 (Saloons): Total 502 in RHD, of which ...
    Aquamarine (Goodwood) 3
    Biomorphic Green 2
    Bitter Sweet 4
    BRG 11
    Black Olive 6 (more Black than green!) 3
    Gulf Stream (more Blue than green) 1
    Lagoon 1
    Le Mans green 2
    (other monograms, "sometimes" green-ish, Typhoon 14, Shot Silk 3)

ZT-T 260: Total 115 in RHD, of which ...
    Biomorphic Green 1
    BRG 4
    Le Mans green 4
    (other monograms, "sometimes" green-ish, Typhoon 4, Shot Silk 1)

... or thereabouts ! Greens are not very popular, as you can see.

David
    Last edited by David; 14-08-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Thank you, looks like I may have a long wait or possibly re think my colour choice!

Thank you, looks like I may have a long wait or possibly re think my colour choice!
    Well there is #004 for sale in Belgium(?) which is RHD. Unsure which green it is from the terrible photos. Maybe Le Mans or Goodwood?
    Then there is SteveTD's Shot Silk supercharged car. Looking back on the '260s SOLD...' statistics, the last time I saw a RHD real green car come up for sale was just over a year ago, and then only 1 in the whole of 2018 (plus 1 Shot-Silk ZT-T and 1 Typhoon).

David
    Last edited by David; 14-08-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Hi David. Your list of colour appears to show only monograms. Is Black Olive a monogram? Mine's Black Olive and in the sunshine it has a dark purple hue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hi David. Your list of colour appears to show only monograms. Is Black Olive a monogram? Mine's Black Olive and in the sunshine it has a dark purple hue.
    Those are all the colours that MGR show as being original paint jobs, which are either stated as being "green" or look green to me on photos I've seen. Not just Monograms, as such.

I agree about Black Olive, but the only car I have seen close up, I swore was black, whilst the owner stood right next to it was saying "are you blind? It's dark green ...". The Dutch car-papers he showed me do in fact say it is "Green", so MGR Nederland thought it was too, back in 2005.
    I have a similar problem with Nocturn; maybe just that my eyesight is bad!

I find it difficult to put a single word colour to my Chatsworth R75V8 even. Some say 'Gold', some 'Green' the Dutch car-papers show it as simply 'Brown'. I don't like that, so 'Olive' is the best description I can come up with, hence her name.

David
    Last edited by David; 14-08-2019 at 12:28 PM.

As much as I agree colour is important this limits your car choice a lot. If colour is that important how about find a good car and getting it wrapped? I am suggesting this over a respray as doing the hole car would involve engine removal and there will always be somewhere that shows. With wrapping there are so many options and it protects the original paint underneath. I have seen cars done and it was that good you could not tell. I don't know what it costs but probably a lot cheaper than paint.

Steve

If you get the MG V8 Book by David Knowles it gives a breakdown of all the colours and the numbers produced
    MG Rover Supporters Club

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    As much as I agree colour is important this limits your car choice a lot. If colour is that important how about find a good car and getting it wrapped? I am suggesting this over a respray as doing the hole car would involve engine removal and there will always be somewhere that shows. With wrapping there are so many options and it protects the original paint underneath. I have seen cars done and it was that good you could not tell. I don't know what it costs but probably a lot cheaper than paint.

Steve
    A good wrap properly done is about as expensive as a spray job. The paint has to be in ideal condition because anything wrong with it will show through the wrap. As to areas where the colour is different will be the same with a wrap as I doubt if they’ll do the engine bay or boot area although a good wrap will include door shuts hence the cost. Wrap is not always guaranteed to protect the paint after removal as this can be problematic too