Purchase of ZT260 imminent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase of ZT260 imminent

Default Purchase of ZT260 imminent

Hi All,
    New to this forum so please be gentle. I'm collecting my 2004 mk2 ZT 260 on Saturday. I've always admired these from afar but now finally I have the chance to own one. I've had a good look at all the buying tips on here and various magazines and obviously there are some niggles like every car. The car I'm buying has been thoroughly checked by a friend who's a mechanic but not too familiar with this model but we have checked all the key areas and essentially the car is very good. The fuel consumption doesn't bother me as it'll
    be a weekend car, what I want to know is what it's really like to own, run, maintain and live with on a day to day basis. I don't have an endless amount of money for maintenance and I'm not very mechanically minded. Are costs reasonable and reliability good etc? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys and hopefully see you all at shows soon. (Ps classics on the common in harpenden herts today great show) .
    Last edited by David; 24-07-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Apostrphy display corrected

Hi Andy.
    I'll start by commenting on the end of your thread, I have my Maestro T-Shirt, hat, sunglasses and drinking boots already for Classics on the Common this afternoon. There is a chap who the past 2 years has taken one of his V8s (he has a rover 75 and a ZT version) so there should be a car to view. I'm not driving.
    As you're getting the 260 as a weekend car you shouldn't have any major problems as long as you'll never be in a rush to get things fixed. Most parts are available if you search round and use the forum. I have frequent niggles but I think with any modern car at 15yrs old that would be the case. One week it's an air bag sensor, then an ABS, then a leak in the boot, corroded brake pipes, failing fuel pump, now a slight leak from the diff... Mine has done over 120k miles tho.
    BUT, when you get in, start the engine the smile it puts on your face is most definitely worth it. I also drive a VW T4 (family wagon) and a rover75 estate, which make the 260 feel nice and fast when I do drive it. There won't be many more petrol cars never mind V8s!
    The one thing I would check is the radiator fan set up, make sure it's the latest (I forget the exact set up but I think you want the one with the visible resistor), a failed fan cost me an engine.

Cheers,
    Ian
    MG ZT V8, Firefrost, No 311
    MG Maestro Turbo, Flame Red, No 400
    Rover 75 Tourer, 2.0 KV6

Hi Andy,

Whereabouts are you based, it might be helpful in suggesting good maintenance and servicing options.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Welcome to the Forum, Andy. Lots of interesting information for you, I'm sure, but to get the most out of it you should consider joining as a full member. Then you will have access to lots of informative threads and advice from members, otherwise closed to you.
    ... and your name gets shown in green as an added bonus Just send a message to Tim (that's his user name too), and ask for a questionnaire to be sent to your email address.

Enjoy your car, which I am sure you will! May I ask what is the VIN number please (last 3 digits only)?
    It should be on the car papers and the vehicle information plate low down on the pillar when you open the door. Mine is on the driver's side, but my car is LHD, so yours may be on the other side.

David
    Last edited by David; 24-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks guys, I’ll be picking the car up on Saturday so at the mo I don’t have the vin no? Is this to check for the pre production cars that had faults etc?

Ps I live in Hertfordshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycmg View Post
    Thanks guys, I’ll be picking the car up on Saturday so at the mo I don’t have the vin no? Is this to check for the pre production cars that had faults etc?

Ps I live in Hertfordshire.
    No, no. Just that some of us "anoraks" like to keep tabs on the relatively few cars still alive and well and keep the history up to date.

David

Ok cool, well the idea is to become a full member as soon as I collect car and let you know then. Fingers crossed all goes well on Saturday.

A combination of British class and yank v8 muscle! Does life get any better?!

Andy Welcome to the forum. The last 3 numbers of the VIN are you new identity.

I am 372. Like many here I've had two 260s. Going back to March 2005. Most parts are around and about, surprisingly many new old stock. Most of the important bits are yank based where they are sitting on shelves for almost instant delivery, like engines, gear boxes, Diffs. The forum does have a comprehensive library of information and sources for parts and how to do's Plus short cuts and the parts that are on other cars like the minis brake reservoir cap.etc etc.

Try not to smile all day because the non 260 owners will get fed up :-) Drive Safe

Jez Marsh

372 ZTT SE PBT
    M 260 MG

...and welcome from Germany. Enjoy your new Toy!
    André

Hi and welcome.MG Saloon Day at Shuttle worth,Near Biggleswade this Sunday if you want to show it off.