I still want a V8 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I still want a V8

Remember when I was looking for one I was getting really pee'd off at responding to "dead" ads, sorry, its sold . . . . take the bleedin' ad down then! Phoned one number, the guy had an impenetrable Irish accent, I couldn't understand a word, he could have been offering me the car for free I wouldn't have known.
    Steve
    #243 Pearl Black

T4 Location Map

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Keith
    You will have to be very patient. According to how many left there are only about 40 V8 Estate left on the UK roads and if you are picky about the thee color you might have a long wait. I spent a year looking for mine.

Good luck

Steve
    Steve

Of course you are right i am being picky about the colour and as i said i may end up regretting that.

But its early days in the search and i suppose i want the car to be spot on for me and colour is a very individual thing as witness by the fact that Black Grey and Silver are hugely popular.

I've even heard a rumour that some gentlemen prefer blonds!!!

I accept i may have a long wait so i've got my eye on a Ztt 2.5 SE Sport Auto in Atmosphere Kinetic, if i can persuade the guy to sell it. I can then trundle around i that looking for my V8.

Cheers

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Not sure if Steve's number of 40 may be a bit pessimistic.
    Def think 40 is a little pessimistic. How many left lists 94 cars either taxed or SORN under the various model designations, so they differentiate between a Ztt SE V8 260 and a SE 260 V8, as according to the site thats they the way they were registered at the time.

MG Rover info's build data shows 151 Ztt V8 builds so roughly 30% have gone if we assume any survivors are either taxed or SORN as the regs now demand.

What fun i have ahead.

Cheers

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bean66 View Post
    MG Rover info's build data shows 151 Ztt V8 builds ..............

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

You forgot some essential facts, Keith. Importantly, you assume that all vehicles were/are registered in the UK, plus that all LHD and RHD cars must be in the UK anyway. Makes a nonsense of those figures really.

Of the 152 ZT-Ts, 37 were LHD, leaving 115 RHD according to the MGR data.
    Not all cars built for, and destined for, the "GREAT BRITAIN" market (yes, RHD and LHD), actually ended up by being delivered there, and vice-versa.

On top of that not all surviving LHD cars live 'abroad', and not all surviving RHD cars live in the UK anymore (quite a few I know of never did).

Finally, a few of both groups never escaped the factory at all, being development or crash testing vehicles, being intentionally destroyed shortly after birth!

.... Bit of a pig's breakfast !

So I'm afraid you can't really attempt to put meaningful percentage survival figures on it without lots more registration information, worldwide.

David
    Last edited by David; 26-03-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post

Nich.
    Poor 'scoubix' gets forgotten all the time, with his 'trans-gender' Tourer/ZT-T.

David
    Last edited by David; 26-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    You forgot some essential facts, Keith. Importantly, you assume that all vehicles were/are registered in the UK, plus that all LHD and RHD cars must be in the UK anyway. Makes a nonsense of those figures really.

Of the 152 ZT-Ts, 37 were LHD, leaving 115 RHD according to the MGR data.
    On top of that not all surviving LHD cars live 'abroad', and not all surviving RHD cars live in the UK anymore (a few I know never did).
    Not all cars built for, and destined for, the "GREAT-BRITAIN" market (yes, RHD and LHD), actually ended up by being delivered there, and vice-versa.

Finally, a few of both groups never escaped the factory at all, being development or crash testing vehicles, almost by definition destroyed shortly after birth!

So I'm afraid you can't really attempt to put meaningful percentage survival figures on it without lots more registration information, worldwide.

David
    David

You are spot on with the production figures they list 151 (plus +1?) and some 37 were LHD, which i didn't think about at all. So if we assume the DVLA registered and SORN numbers are about right (and one would hope so) losses in the last 15 years are much less than my initial 30% est, so thats good.

I will keep looking.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bean66 View Post
    David

You are spot on with the production figures they list 151 (plus +1?) and some 37 were LHD, which i didn't think about at all. So if we assume the DVLA registered and SORN numbers are about right (and one would hope so) losses in the last 15 years are much less than my initial 30% est, so thats good.

I will keep looking.

Keith
    Yup. Just looking at the UK, only about 18% ..... ish of ZT-T 260s 'lost to time', ignoring the known factory scraps ?
    The unknown/dubious-data factors (imports, exports etc.), mean that you will never get accuracy. Those cars, few though they may be, will still represent a significant percentage of the number of cars involved, and distort your 'result' massively, therefore.

And that's only the UK, and next year the numbers may be different.
    All a bit academic, I guess. .

David
    Last edited by David; 26-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.