Front Bilstein strut re-furb

Thread: Front Bilstein strut re-furb

Default Front Bilstein strut re-furb

Hi, can any of the owners who have re-built their "new" front bilstein strut units let us who are in the process of doing so how they managed to replace (and from where) the NLA bits?

Kev

Which NLA bits are you looking for ?

Quote Originally Posted by KeepersMG View Post
    Which NLA bits are you looking for ?
    The spacers/washers/dished top washer (RNH000150, RNS100060, RHY100540 and FX112047). I'm hoping either the parts can be replaced from the bins of either BMW or JLR.

Kev

FX112047 top nut is the same as a standard mg zt and there are some available on eBay although they are actually different nuts on the bilstein strut, they are a nyloc nut with a fine pitch thread.
    RNS100050 top washer is same as standard mg zt so maybe find some used ones from a breaker.
    RNH100060 looks very similar to RNS100060 which is standard mg zt so maybe breakers again ?
    RYH100140 same as standard zt so breakers again, or if you're stuck I'm sure I've got some used ones.

Kev, here are a couple of photos that might help. Important "new" parts are the top bearing which you get when you buy the top bush as complete item from Rimmers, or you can buy them individually. The complete item includes the spacers I think you are referring to. One of my spacers was rusted to the shock absorber shaft, so by the time I had freed that, the bush was u/s. More importantly, the Bilstein bits: if your shock absorber (the silver tube) has lateral movement in the yellow casing, you will need a replacement slider bush and its dust/oil seal. These, plus the blue boot, should be readily available from any shock absorber refurbishment place that deals with Bilstein units. The bush and seal are pretty standard across the Bilstein Macpherson Strut range and don't cost much at all. The bush part number is E4-LB1-Z008A10 and the seal is 4144022.

By the way, the shock absorber comes out of the casing quite easily. Just undo the lock nut and use an Allen key to screw the shaft in until it comes free. Slide the complete unit out of the casing. Nothing explodes, no springs or hydraulic fluid under pressure escape, it is a completely free-standing sealed unit - too easy. This unit is not something you can deal with at home though so if it is dodgy for some reason, it will need to go away for professional attention or perhaps replacement. I assume the chromed surface can wear as well as pit and flake, but if your unit is more or less OK, then it can probably just go back into service. Both mine are very shiny where they slide in the slider bush, but not worn badly enough to worry about just yet.

Malcolm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Malcolmr; 26-01-2018 at 12:54 AM.
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

You can buy the bush, seal and dust cover directly from Bilstein but if you are changing the top bush I would also recommend you replace the bottom one as well and don't forget to put some grease in there or they wont last long.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by KeepersMG View Post
    FX112047 top nut is the same as a standard mg zt and there are some available on eBay although they are actually different nuts on the bilstein strut, they are a nyloc nut with a fine pitch thread.
    RNS100050 top washer is same as standard mg zt so maybe find some used ones from a breaker.
    RNH100060 looks very similar to RNS100060 which is standard mg zt so maybe breakers again ?
    RYH100140 same as standard zt so breakers again, or if you're stuck I'm sure I've got some used ones.
    I always like to replace parts when I can with new. As none are available I will have to use the ones on the knackered struts. One's in breakers may be more corroded than the one's I have presently. Not looking to go down that road unless it was for use as a template to enable some to be made in s/s.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmr View Post
    Kev, here are a couple of photos that might help. Important "new" parts are the top bearing which you get when you buy the top bush as complete item from Rimmers, or you can buy them individually. The complete item includes the spacers I think you are referring to. One of my spacers was rusted to the shock absorber shaft, so by the time I had freed that, the bush was u/s. More importantly, the Bilstein bits: if your shock absorber (the silver tube) has lateral movement in the yellow casing, you will need a replacement slider bush and its dust/oil seal. These, plus the blue boot, should be readily available from any shock absorber refurbishment place that deals with Bilstein units. The bush and seal are pretty standard across the Bilstein Macpherson Strut range and don't cost much at all. The bush part number is E4-LB1-Z008A10 and the seal is 4144022.

By the way, the shock absorber comes out of the casing quite easily. Just undo the lock nut and use an Allen key to screw the shaft in until it comes free. Slide the complete unit out of the casing. Nothing explodes, no springs or hydraulic fluid under pressure escape, it is a completely free-standing sealed unit - too easy. This unit is not something you can deal with at home though so if it is dodgy for some reason, it will need to go away for professional attention or perhaps replacement. I assume the chromed surface can wear as well as pit and flake, but if your unit is more or less OK, then it can probably just go back into service. Both mine are very shiny where they slide in the slider bush, but not worn badly enough to worry about just yet.

Malcolm
    Yeah, some useful info but these are a pair of new units (or nearly all new additional bits). I asked Brown & Gammons to get the springs and bearing plus all the other bits as there has been some posts that give the impression that the stock of springs Rimmers is holding might be Mk.1. There is no uk stock shown by x-part for the often important sundries. And yes, it looks like they provide a nylock to keep it all together instead of the original fixing (looks like I will need to break apart the nylock as it just rotates and will destroy the bush). It looks as if I will have to get a local engineering firm to knock some up in s/s.

Kev