Rover 75 260 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rover 75 260

Probably a lot less than he will take. Being it has been unused for 12 years it will need to be recommissioned. New tyres and fluids all round. Personally if I was in a position to buy it would offer £18 to £20k.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by paulbailey View Post
    What would a fair price be for the Hursley Hill one?

I'm interested in any views on this?!!

Thanks

Paul
    OK, so what is "fair" anyway?
    Is it worth it?

Well if 'worth' is making a profit, then probably not. The only important factors are the facts that it is "new" and almost no miles on the clock.
    6 months down the road it becomes a low mileage car. Period. Worth a lot? Yes, most certainly. 30K? Most certainly not.

If the pleasure of owning one is what you mean, then probably not either; mine cost a bit over 3.5k pounds (OK, I was very lucky!), but I have EXACTLY the same pleasure for 1/10th of that amount. 1/4 or so would give you that same pleasure. OK, maybe some bills on the way, but not 30K!

If the Lotto threw the money into my lap tomorrow, would I consider it? Probably 'yes', even though it makes no sense at all, 'cept it's not a left-hooker, so 'no' on that count too.

David
    Last edited by David; 19-11-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks for the feedback. I am retired and own a P5b and Mk1 ZT 260. The P5b has only 73k on the clock and I am the second owner. The ZT has 116k on the clock and I am first owner (I paid £25k for it in 2004 as the Mk2 had come out and they wanted to get it off stock). I am just worried that something new will go pop on a long journey with the ZT. As Steve says the Rover 75 would need a fair bit of work for it to be treated as a new car, so why are they asking so much money, have they had it in stock for 8 years? so, what is their motivation??

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulbailey View Post
    ... I am just worried that something new will go pop on a long journey with the ZT... l
    Don't get paranoid, Paul
    Like I say I have twice the mileage and have no problems with setting off to the UK (1600 miles round trip) tomorrow morning, if needs must. Wouldn't think twice.
    Always serviced as she should be and runs like a train; twelve years old? What the hell! She has NEVER let me down and I'm sure never will.

Next door neighbour's 6 months old Peugeot (pretty colour ...) died totally and terminally in the middle of a french motorway last week on the way back from holidays (home-sickness?). Not made in Longbridge, see.

David

Thanks David, you are right, I'll hang on to vin 41 to her death or mine, I did about 350 miles in her over the weekend. It's just that I can't follow why that dealer should hang on to the Rover for so long, did he think it was an investment..?

Paul

I made quite serious enquiries about the £30k 75 v8 earlier in the summer.
    The garages attitude is slightly odd - but the upshot is they would sell for around 25k.
    I was willing to pay 18k which was much too low for them.
    I don't think the car is quite the seized up, frozen mothballed article that some have described. It is regularly started up and taken for short journeys (to the end of the street and back)
    I believe the current mileage is circa 200 miles.

David has hit the nail on the head.
    If you want to buy it to preserve it and one day hope it's worth £££££......well the entry price of circa £25k makes that possibility an uphill battle.
    If you want to buy it and use it, then it almost immediately becomes the same as any other low miler out there - i.e. worth sub £16/17k.....
    That's quite a bit to lose in the first 6 months!.....

However, if you are in the position to not give a monkeys about that and you just want one - because let's face it ... try and get another......then it started to make sense.

If it had have been a monogram I'd have probably bought it. But then again as my neighbour has recently described me, I have a 'car illness'.....!!!

My guess he paid high teens for it as that is what they were selling for a couple of years after the collapse. I agree it needs preserving but even if you did and put it away for 20 years it would probably have a similar value to a SD1 Vitesse if the same had happened to one of those so not a great investment.

At the end of the day there is a very limited market for these cars as a lot of people don't even know they exist, even less people have the spare cash to buy one costing more than twice what a used one would cost and even less again who are willing to buy it and them put it away unused.

I think my 260 is a great car but if I had a spare £25k would I buy it? No I can think of a lot of other cars on my bucket list that I would rather have.

Maybe Beaulieu or Gaydon should have look after it? At least it would show the public they exist.

Steve

Do we know the VIN of the car, incidentally?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Do we know the VIN of the car, incidentally?

David
    I think it's #818.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Rover 75-260/MG ZT-260 Same car (more or less) but the rover is much cheaper to insure!