Calling all Aussies and copper/ lawyer types rofl ;)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Aussies and copper/ lawyer types rofl ;)

Default Calling all Aussies and copper/ lawyer types rofl ;)

Calling all Aussies that have driven In the UK

Or anyone that knows driving law in UK

Can someone confirm for me that when wanting to drive in the uk the aussie resident will have to actually have their licence with them in the UK?

And therefore if they have had their licence revoked for say 6 months in Melbourne ,
    , for speeding they cannot legally drive in the uk??
    I'm therefore also assuming insurance would be invalid for false information having claimed to have a kicence when it was in fact revoked at the time? ?

All factual info great fully received
    Nick

Presuming that they haven't brought their own car with them (what an effort!) any hire company would require to see the licence before hiring the vehicle anyway, so unless it was loaned by a friend (in which case the insurance company they were using would most likely have asked to see the licence of a foreign national anyway before adding them)

Source: We hire vehicles to people of all nationalities... as long as they have their licence.
    James Curgenven
    ZT 260 SE #455 "Hobbes - The Rumblebee"
    "By my deeds I honour him, V8."

You must hold a valid licence to drive here

Just to repeat what's already been posted.

All visitors to the UK must be in possession of a valid driving licence if they wish to drive in the UK i.e. they must have their licence with them and it must be valid i.e. not revoked.

You can add foreign visitors to your own insurance for a temporary period of time but must declare that they are in possession of a full valid licence issued in their own country.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Not relevant to Nick's question exactly, but you can't drive in the UK on even a valid license from another country if your UK one is revoked. Some folk legally hold a number of valid licenses for a variety of reasons! You can't say "taken my license have you? ; never mind I'll use this one instead...".
    Bit of loophole, since you could show apparent proof that you are allowed to drive in the UK when in fact you would not be.

David
    Last edited by David; 16-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.

When I had my car in the UK (what an effort, but great fun - see photo!) I also arranged to be issued with an "international driver's licence" via the Australian Automobile Association. They also provided the AUS plate for the back of the car. The international licence just confirmed what previous people have said I needed, that I had a valid Australian drivers licence. It was also supposed to help confirm that at border crossings and if queried by police and was seen to be more authoritative than my Aussie licence which is issued by the state I live in (Australian Capital Territory) which presumably might not be immediately recognised overseas as a legal jurisdiction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

sorry guys typed this yesterday and then didnt realise it hadn't posted till i looked back today... DOH!!

cheers guys, all as expected and fully agreed, and is the advice I gave , but as it was only my opinion of the facts I asked to ensure there wasn't anything I wasn't aware of if you know what I mean also to clarify whether an insurance company would indeed actually ask for the photocopy of the aforementioned licence, or whether the person insuring the extra person is just held accountable for supplying false information and hence the insurance would be invalid..
    the person wantiing to be insured doesnt know that the insuring person knows about the driving licence being revoked, so if actually supplying the licence is required thats great as I assume the aussies do actually take the licence away physically?
    Nick

I added my son-in-law's father to my insurance a couple of years ago so that he could drive my car while visiting the UK. My insurance company took down his details from me over the phone and did not require physical sight of his licence.

Might be worth asking the person wanting to be insured for a photocopy of his/her licence to send to the insurance company for verification.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmr View Post
    When I had my car in the UK, what an effort, but great fun ...
    I can well imagine! How much of the journey was driven and how much sea or air freight may I ask. Malcolm?
    Must have been at least some of the way, since it's difficult to land a 747 in Abingdon, and I don't see the rudder and paddles option on the MG!

David
    Last edited by David; 17-11-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I added my son-in-law's father to my insurance a couple of years ago so that he could drive my car while visiting the UK. My insurance company took down his details from me over the phone and did not require physical sight of his licence.

Might be worth asking the person wanting to be insured for a photocopy of his/her licence to send to the insurance company for verification.

Nich.
    The insurance company may not ask to see the licence but will insist on seeing it if there is a claim.