Related posts/information about cars For Sale. - Page 40
Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Related posts/information about cars For Sale.

Wary about disagreeing with a very knowledgeable Steve. I'm sure 10000 would be basic but then plus one off colour, plus ace condition, plus total provenance, and a big plus time. In my new mg era of 2.5 years the cars are becoming less common, so good condition becomes even rarer.

Lower mileage cars are fewer. So a 14k ask with a 13k realised price doesn't feel too far out as the prices of good cars are up 25% in my time except some obvious ignorant sales in the 5-7k zone but of 100k mile plus cars. I humbly submit.

Jez Marsh

372 ZTT SE PBT
    M 260 MG

The issue of price on these cars is an odd one. In my experience it really comes down to the individual car in question - Jez - you've covered off most of the salient points and I tend to agree with you. I've had my typhoon for sale for a few weeks now, and I cannot count the number of random emails and messages I've received (some abusive) telling me the car is worth no more than a couple of grand. I've never had this before with any other car - what is it about the price of the 260 that is causing such emotion?!

Yesterday a low mileage one owner ZT 260 sold for just over £9k on Ebay, it was not SE spec but if it was worth more the bidding would have reflected this I am sure.

Every feature that makes a car unique helps with its potential value but at the end of the day it takes somebody willing to splash the cash for it to obtain that value.

The problem is when you get into low teens on price there are a lot of very nice cars that can be bought for that kind of money that have more performance and a better back up with spares and dealer support.

Dont get me wrong I think our cars are amazing value but even people who know a lot about cars have never heard of them and have a dislike purchasing anything made by Rover group so that limits there market in my view.

I paid a lot less for my ZTT last year than I potentially would have to pay for it now I am sure and this is great but the last thing I want is a car that is so valuable that I am scared to take it to Sainsbury's. My Jensen when I bought it was just a nice old car and believe it or not amazing examples could be bought as recently as 5 years ago for under £20k, these days even basket cases fetch more than that and I have got to the stage that I only use it when I know it will be safe, do we realy want that with our 260's?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Yesterday a low mileage one owner ZT 260 sold for just over £9k on Ebay, it was not SE spec but if it was worth more the bidding would have reflected this I am sure.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. The 260 is very much a niche car - so one listing for a very short period of time doesn't necessarily reflect its worth. I think the true value of a niche car takes a bit longer to reveal itself.

Ex-Mod, RIP

I watch many of the American Auctions programs and I am amazed at the prices of some of the classics (even the modern classics).

I think the car will go for £xx,xxx.xx, then they go for way above my thoughts of their value.

Some cars starts at a high new price, Then as they age, go down to almost nothing, Then as they get even older sell for very a high price.

Our cars are in this unique situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    ... Some cars starts at a high new price, Then as they age, go down to almost nothing, Then as they get even older sell for very a high price. Our cars are in this unique situation.
    The trick being to buy at the "dip" of course !
    Somehow in the past that's always turned out to be the point I sold
    ... Just may have got it right with Olive at 3.5k pounds equivalent 2 years ago, plus the LHD R75V8 super-rarity-factor.
    Valuation guy was muttering 25k Euros last week. Mixed blessing with the premium though! We will see when the report arrives.

David

Ask yourself this, if the worse happend and your car was stolen or written off would you replace it with exactly the same if the insurance gave you £14k or even more?

For that kind of money you could buy a 10 year old Audi S6 or BMW M5 with 50k to 60k on the clock.

Steve

Ask yourself this, if the worse happend and your car was stolen or written off would you replace it with exactly the same if the insurance gave you £14k or even more? ...
    Yes.

David

Ask yourself this, if the worse happend and your car was stolen or written off would you replace it with exactly the same if the insurance gave you £14k or even more?

For that kind of money you could buy a 10 year old Audi S6 or BMW M5 with 50k to 60k on the clock.

Steve
    That's actually a great question - would love to see a poll on here for general consensus! I'm guessing something around 50/50?!....

Yes exactly it makes you think, at £5k to £10K they are great value for money but when you start thinking about what you could buy for mid teens there a lot of choices out there.

I love the V8 engine with it lazy torque and sound but if you look at German build quality and maybe a Turbo or two and some electrickery they are a bit old hat. I was given a lift in a AMG 6.3 Twin Turbo a few weeks ago and the only word I can think of is Amazing, 0-60 in under 4 seconds, brakes so amazing it felt as if I was going to get a bruise from the seat belt and even a gizmo to make the exhaust sound different depending on what setting you put on the ECU.

Dont get me wrong I love my ZTT 260 but when you see what is out there even some Turbo Diesels will keep up with us.

Steve