Fuelling on cold start

Thread: Fuelling on cold start

Default Fuelling on cold start

Hi
    I`m a new recruit, having just purchased a very nice ZT260SE, with a very good history in mint condition, and I`m picking it up at the beginning of May.
    The supplying dealer has warned against stopping the engine straight after a cold start and trying to re-start immediately (something I`d always try and avoid anyway as it`s not good for an engine to not reach operating temperature), as it`s apparently hard to start again straight away. I remember a similar issue on a Golf 1,8T, which I took to be the management system preventing it to protect the catalyst. Leaving 20 mins and trying again would then start it.
    I wondered if anyone had experienced a similar issue. If it`s normal, then I`ll just try and avoid it and live with it, and try and not stall from a cold start!
    Thanks
    Rich Parker

Welcome along Richard. Never heard of that one. Sometimes difficult to start when the engine is hot, high underbonnet temps, vapour in the fuel rails but various solutions available. Engines are pretty bullet proof and lots of info on the Mustang 2V 4.6 SOHC.
    Get your questionnaire back to Tim to get full membership. Lots to read. What are the last three digits of your VIN?

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Mine would do that is I moved it off the drive to let somebody out and yes it could be a difficult to restart sometimes, a new set of Iridium spark plugs and a set of MSD ignition coils seems to have fixed it.

If a car is difficult to start with modern EFI there is usually a problem, the usual culprits are a weak spark, dribbly injector or injectors, air leak or in some cases a poor starting technique. A lot of people don't know but flooring the throttle when you try to start a fuel injected car often switches the injectors off, this is so you can clear a flooded engine.

Steve

All black, black, black. bernard lpg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    A lot of people don't know but flooring the throttle when you try to start a fuel injected car often switches the injectors off, this is so you can clear a flooded engine.

Steve
    Is this true for our engines? If it is it would be a remedy for an occasional problem for me.
    Bernard Lovegrove. Rural Worcestershire.

wnj516

The stratergy for the Ford EEC v management does indicate if the throttle is floored when trying to start it shuts off the injectors to assist in clearing a flooded engine.
    WNJ516William Nigel Jenkins.

All black, black, black. bernard lpg's Avatar

Thank you for that, I will try it next time I have the problem.
    Bernard Lovegrove. Rural Worcestershire.

I found this out because one of my customers had a car he claimed would be difficult to start what ever he did. I would go out to it and it would start so quickly I could not even hear the starter motor. After several call outs I got him to show me his starting technique, he put his foot to the floor and turned the key, when I asked why he did this he answered well how else would it start with no choke .

I showed him it would start foot off and he was amazed.

Steve

Thanks Guys, much appreciated. Yes, the dealer did say the way, out if it happened, was to floor the throttle and crank it over, so that makes sense. Engine seems in excellent health (40K miles with FSH). Just had new plugs, so that might help; I might upgrade to Iridium / MSD coils. Rich