Engine bay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine bay

Default Engine bay

Had a bit of time today, so I made a start on the engine bay. Still plenty of work to do, but I'm quite pleased for now

Particularly pleased with the scuttle panel, I tried a new product (to me) Car Pro DLux. The panel looked awful before, very faded, but a good scrub down, and just one coat of DLux got it looking like this (I reckon another coat will have it looking like new):

Like I said, plenty more to do, a few stone chips to fix, then a machine polish etc, should hopefully be looking good for the summer!
    Ian Butler
    Proud owner of #254

Looks really good!
    Need to do mine too.:-)
    A clean engine bay gives you less problems I think.

What have you done with your headlights? I can see the flexible led strip which I bought myself but they didn't iluminate enough but you seem to have changed the high beam light? Is it twin low beam or are they still high beam? Better light?
    Last edited by peterv8; 21-02-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Looking very good, Ian!
    Word of caution to anyway tackling a dirty engine and engine bay (bitter experience for me): DON'T hand it over to anyone else to do. I had the crank oil-seal fail on a V6 which left the whole engine-bay covered in filth and oil. Had it "professionally" cleaned, the result of which, a few weeks later, was a failed alternator and ABS module. Two years later I'm still getting electrical problems tracing back to connectors in the engine-bay. Aggressive solvent and pressure cleaning I guess.

David

On the subject of detailing, what advice does anyone have about removing the white oxidation from aluminium/alloy engine bits? Lack of cleaning and 200k miles (previous owner!) have left a lot of bits around the front cover, throttle-body etc. particularly looking pretty terrible, even when degreased and washed. It would take me months with the biker's friend Solvol Autosol !

Edit: I've heard about something called aluminium jelly (??) but no one in this neck of the woods knows what I'm talking about; neither do I!
    Some know of Naval jelly (Loctite??) but that's for rust on iron/steel parts.

David
    Last edited by David; 21-02-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterv8 View Post
    What have you done with your headlights?
    It's a full four beam hi/lo bi-xenon set up. I swapped out the original 3" projector for a bi-xenon unit, then added an aftermarket bi-xenon main.

It gives me four dip and four main beams, and yes, it's very bright! The dip beams are brilliant, with a really sharp cut-off, the MOT man was very happy with them.

At the moment I've got LED bulbs in the "main beam", as they don't draw as much current as xenons, and are also instant start, so flash works fine.

It took a fair bit of head scratching to get the wiring and relay spot on, but all seems good so far. I've also got LED side lights in, which are hidden by the projector unit, but give a lovely white glow when switched on.

The flexible LED DRLs are OKish, but not really bright enough, maybe back to the drawing board on that, I've got a few ideas....

I'l get some pics/video when it gets dark
    Ian Butler
    Proud owner of #254

Here's the lights in all their glory..

DRLs

Side lights

Dip beam

Dip beam cut off

Main beam

Main beam pattern

Should give an impression of what they're like, I will get a video of them on a dark lane at another time, it's just started raining....
    Ian Butler
    Proud owner of #254

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I've heard about something called aluminium jelly (??) but no one in this neck of the woods knows what I'm talking about; neither do I!
    I've never used it, but is this what you mean?

http://tldrify.com/m9j

Looks a good idea, anything has to be better than elbow grease and polish!
    Ian Butler
    Proud owner of #254

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I've never used it, but is this what you mean?

http://tldrify.com/m9j

Looks a good idea, anything has to be better than elbow grease and polish!
    Thanks for that tip, Ian. That looks like the stuff I was talking about.
    I'll get onto them and see if I can get it in Europe or direct from them in the US.
    If not, I'll have to try Amazon.com or some such.

Thanks again.

David

I like the four beam idea, as you say it should give you really good lighting and on the picture I have never seen so sharp cut off!
    I wish the flexi led was as bright for real as on the photo.:-)

Let us know how it goes!
    There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Anyone tried this aluminium cleaner, great reviews? http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-...ngine-cleaner/