Hi All,
As the newest member of the club , I thought I would take this opportunity to say hello. I was tidying up my books recently and placed all my Haynes manuals together and as I flashed across the titles, I realised that they gave a very effective snapshot of my motoring life. I always tried to buy one for every car that I had owned and there were cars that I was proud to own like the 2.8 Capri to others that were the motoring equivalent of the damp squib such as the Renault 18. I hated that car from day one and I promised myself that it would go at the first sign of trouble. It was three years before anything failed - I couldn't believe it!
I have now added a Haynes Rover 75 and MG ZT manual to my collection although it doesn't cover the 260's engine but it will be useful for trim etc.

I bought the 260 as I believe it to be a future classic and it plays its part in the MG history books. Being an old guy now, I experienced the boom years of British Motoring and saw its demise over a period of twenty years or so. I still lament the passing of the British Car Industry and I wonder whether the same thing would have happened in say France but it's all water that's been passed under the bridge now, as they say. I intend to keep the car now for a long time and I am still finding out about it but there are some obvious issues;

The heater/AC unit is weak. On my car, the left hand vent blows cold even when the setting is HI. The right hand one is OK. I don't know how this works yet but if anyone has any ideas about what is wrong, I would appreciate it.

The handbrake is weak and it has problems holding even though it has had the tensioner upgrade. Is it possible to get a proper working handbrake on the 260?

I am still finding out all of its idiosyncrasies and no doubt there will be other issues as time goes on and so I welcome the support of this group.