20 Haynes Manuals in my library and still growing...............

Thread: 20 Haynes Manuals in my library and still growing...............

Default 20 Haynes Manuals in my library and still growing...............

Hi All,
    As the newest member of the club , I thought I would take this opportunity to say hello. I was tidying up my books recently and placed all my Haynes manuals together and as I flashed across the titles, I realised that they gave a very effective snapshot of my motoring life. I always tried to buy one for every car that I had owned and there were cars that I was proud to own like the 2.8 Capri to others that were the motoring equivalent of the damp squib such as the Renault 18. I hated that car from day one and I promised myself that it would go at the first sign of trouble. It was three years before anything failed - I couldn't believe it!
    I have now added a Haynes Rover 75 and MG ZT manual to my collection although it doesn't cover the 260's engine but it will be useful for trim etc.

I bought the 260 as I believe it to be a future classic and it plays its part in the MG history books. Being an old guy now, I experienced the boom years of British Motoring and saw its demise over a period of twenty years or so. I still lament the passing of the British Car Industry and I wonder whether the same thing would have happened in say France but it's all water that's been passed under the bridge now, as they say. I intend to keep the car now for a long time and I am still finding out about it but there are some obvious issues;

The heater/AC unit is weak. On my car, the left hand vent blows cold even when the setting is HI. The right hand one is OK. I don't know how this works yet but if anyone has any ideas about what is wrong, I would appreciate it.

The handbrake is weak and it has problems holding even though it has had the tensioner upgrade. Is it possible to get a proper working handbrake on the 260?

I am still finding out all of its idiosyncrasies and no doubt there will be other issues as time goes on and so I welcome the support of this group.

Hi Paul, welcome along.

The first important thing to do is get your completed questionnaire back to Tim to get access to the full site. There you will find answers to all of your questions regarding heaters and handbrakes. Might be useful to add your location into your profile becuse then other members near you can help out.

What car did you buy? What are the last three digits of your VIN?

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Welcome to greenness Paul. As Nich said lots to read

Starlight silver. Steves old car.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Welcome on-board, Paul. You should try and contact the previous owner I think to find out what has already been done/tried on the heater and A/C front to avoid re-inventing the wheel, maybe. Don't know which 'Steve' owned it (there are quite a few!) ...

David
    Last edited by David; 29-01-2017 at 01:18 PM.