low battery & relay YWB000430

Thread: low battery & relay YWB000430

Default low battery & relay YWB000430

Hello,

The battery of our ZTT260 is slowly emptying its power. I read here that the sat nav and TV could cause a battery drain, but as I've fitted a modern Chinese radio, I took out those modules of the boot.

I disconnected the battery and pulled out the fuses one by one. By measuring between the plus of the battery and the battery clamp, I couldn't find any fuses (neither under the glove box, nor in the engine bay) or any relay, which would decrease the high amperage.

I read in the forum too, that an older battery could also cause discharging, so instead of buying a new Varta every 4 years, I added a 2nd battery in the boot. Hope this will solve the problem?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by guymaathuis; 10-01-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: pulling out the YWB000430 finaly didn't make any difference
    Current president of the M.G. Car Club Luxembourg and owner of ZTT260 #720, MGBV8, Rover 827, Maestro 2.0, '70 MGBGT, MGA MKII and MG PB 1936

Rimmers list it as the Rear Wiper Relay on the tourer
    James Curgenven
    ZT 260 SE #455 "Hobbes - The Rumblebee"
    "By my deeds I honour him, V8."

wnj516

If you have a battery which is not holding it's charge, and you connect another good battery in parallel, the good battery could be discharging into the other battery until they equalize themselves, and if not recharged will eventually run both down, have you measured the discharge from the battery when everything has shut down, or is it a case of your older battery being on it's last legs so to speak.
    WNJ516William Nigel Jenkins.

Looks like second battery is loose too, no clamps holding it in place! Just hope that fuel can is empty !

.......also don't forget every time you open a door/bonnet/boot you are increasing the usage. When my car is garaged everything is open so I can do stuff without 'waking' the car up.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

If I were you Guy I would buy a brand new battery,

(at least 12 Volt 75Ah R.C. 130min.
    CCA(-18°C): SAE 675A
    DIMENSIONS: 290mm LONG, 190mm HIGH, 175mm WIDE.
    )

scrap everything you have in the boot i.e. the two batteries and associated additional wiring, connect up your new battery with the original wiring and then check for current drain. If you have scrapped all of the original HiLine components (Tuner, Radio, CD Player and SatNav) then if you continue to get a drain it is likely to be a chafed wire or a wire earthing when it shouldn't. Careful logical isolation of components should eventually lead you to the culprit.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Certainly worth replacing the battery for one of these, great value and spec:

http://www.autosessive.com/electrica...teria=2:55:256

did you also remove the sat nav and cd changer from side compartment in the boot?
    2003 ZT 260SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
    2004 ZT-T+ CDTi Aquamarine
    1999 MX-5 Turbo

I would suggest that you start at the basics, check and clean ALL the earths as you could have some circuit back feeding due to a bad earth. Put a small 12V bulb in line between the positive terminal of the battery and the battery terminal that you have removed make sure it does not touch anything and short this will light up if there is a current draw. If the bulb is lit start disconnecting and reconnecting systems until one switches of the light bulb when this happens you have found the current drain.