V88 mfs owner on here?? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: V88 mfs owner on here??

Please, not in front of the children! ��

Jez Marsh

372 ZTT SE PBT
    M 260 MG

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Non SE vs SE discussion is pointless, as its horses for courses... You have some that prefer one and a few that prefer the other.

Personally, the idea of manual window winders on a "flagship" 4 door saloon RWD V8 model, is nothing short of utterly embarassing.
    My question wasn't to incite a discussion on the merits of SE or non SE but to quantify the statement that the non SE is a scarcer model which is a statement I doubt is true due to my point of the cars being expensive enough when new therefore making the SE the scarcer model. Still not had a definitive answer

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

Would you buy a "rare" non-SE with zero service history over an SE with all the paperwork? I wouldn't.

David
    I have to say as much as a service history is good to have what if like me the previous owner has done all his or her own work? Some garages do the minimum needed and in fact some do nothing but put a stamp in the book, at least by doing it myself I can use the best products and keep an eye on stuff.

When I was looking for my 260 one I looked at had all the paperwork and even a couple of receipts for bulbs being replaced but the car was very ragged. Tatty paint, worn seats, dirty carpets and even a small dent in the sill. Apparently it had only done 30k miles but looked like it had done 4 times that.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
    My question wasn't to incite a discussion on the merits of SE or non SE but to quantify the statement that the non SE is a scarcer model which is a statement I doubt is true due to my point of the cars being expensive enough when new therefore making the SE the scarcer model. Still not had a definitive answer
    Build data from mg-rover.info is as follows:

ZT 260SE 384
    ZT 260 180

ZTT 260SE 114
    ZTT 260 37

so it does look like non SE's are the rarer model by some margin. The same site shows that my ZTT is the only non SE 260 in trophy blue, so I am now feeling rather exclusive even if rear passengers need some exercise on the window winder to get some fresh air in the back. (Still have electric windows in front so I am alright ).

When I bought mine a few years ago condition, documented service history and mileage were the higher priorities over spec, although at the time I did not appreciate how few basic spec ZTT 260's there were.

Mike

The problem with all this data is that you cannot rely on it's accuracy. According to the data from mg-rover.info there are only 715 MG ZT and ZTT, does that mean that there are 169 R 75 V8's? I know how frustrating it is having debates about whether SE's are rarer than non SE's but the accurate, definitive figures are not available. We know, for example that there are two cars with 007 as the last three digits of the VIN, we also know of another example of this duplication. I think the only thing we can be certain of is that no-one has accurate data.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Nich,

Totally agree that there are likely to be some discrepancies in the data. However when Les asked the question about which is scarcer I was also curious. Even allowing for discrepancies I think the data must be sufficient to show that SE's were the far more popular choice which answers the original question. This is also borne out by the cars that come up for sale now. For what it is worth the same site shows 165 Rover V8's.

Not that I intend to sell my basic spec car (very happy with it) , it is useful to have a rough idea of the number of similar cars out there if I ever do need to put it on the market.

Mike

Totally agree Mike.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Totally agree Mike.

Nich.
    At least 'scoubix' hasn't got that conundrum, owning the only (?) LHD ZT260 auto,

David
    Last edited by David; 02-02-2017 at 01:53 PM.

I'd be interested to know the LHD stats, RV8 and ZT260 and saloon/tourer. Theoretically if "our" access to database data is to the level of the whole VIN, the digit-nine should be "N" or higher for left hookers making that breakdown relatively easy (should be N or W). Do we have access to that, or only the wordy extraction if you check your own VIN? My job used to be data analysis and data mining if anyone could loan me the DB!

If you're talking about scarcity, try finding a lefty for sale!

David
    Last edited by David; 02-02-2017 at 04:51 PM.