Water leak in the boot...not lights or trim but something else

Thread: Water leak in the boot...not lights or trim but something else

Default Water leak in the boot...not lights or trim but something else

I have found yet another water leak in this car. This time its coming from a black facia panal in the boot. See pic, which for some reason keeps uploading upside down! What does it do? How do I get it out, and any ideas where the water will be coming from behind it? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RattyB View Post
    I have found yet another water leak in this car. This time its coming from a black facia panal in the boot. See pic, which for some reason keeps uploading upside down! What does it do? How do I get it out, and any ideas where the water will be coming from behind it? Thanks!
    Yes indeedy!
    Neded to do 3 of my 4 75's. Now all 100% dry.
    I found that there is only one way to do it properly. If you don't, you may end up by making it worse or inadvertently causing damage. Please PM me and I'll try to explain (or call you).

Bit long winded to post here, and I'd need far too many photo's!

David
    Last edited by David; 06-11-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Do you remember what I told you about buying a modern classic as I was fed up with the continuous work load my classic car had been chucking at me? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by RattyB View Post
    Do you remember what I told you about buying a modern classic as I was fed up with the continuous work load my classic car had been chucking at me? Haha
    Well eventually you'll find and fix all the problems (that will almost certainly be the result of bad/absent/incompetent maintenance, generally the last of those).
    ... then you're home and dry!

Sorry about the "dry" reference!

David

These are the boot air vents, and if they are the same as every other MG Rover afterthought, they are sealed to the body with a "foam" gasket, and held in place by rivets.....

Normally these are ok, as they are not usually directly in the water line, being hidden by the bumper. However if for some reason your bumper might have been chinese, or not quite fittted 100%, I guess its more than likely it would let in water where it meets the quarter panel.

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    These are the boot air vents, and if they are the same as every other MG Rover afterthought, they are sealed to the body with a "foam" gasket, and held in place by rivets.....

Normally these are ok, as they are not usually directly in the water line, being hidden by the bumper. However if for some reason your bumper might have been chinese, or not quite fittted 100%, I guess its more than likely it would let in water where it meets the quarter panel.
    Well, none of mine are. There is a proper rounded profile shaped rubber gasket held in a groove moulded into the inner face. Fixing is solely by 4 plastic clips which are part of the plastic moulding. Often people yank them out from the boot-side without releasing the four clips ('cos its a bumper off job) and then glue them back or fix them with foam rubber and pop-rivets or some-such. Thereafter they leak forever. I'm pretty sure they are the same on all 75's / ZT's?

Water gets to them by running down the outer wing panel to the join with the rear bumper "arms". That join is no way water-tight, and is not intended to be. In fact the shape of the lower wing body-panel and that of the bumper inner surface almost directs the water then onto the vents. If you use a hose on the upper part of the wing you can see exactly how and where it gets through!

David