Another water leak....

Thread: Another water leak....

Default Another water leak....

I was just about to put the interior back in the car after repairing the leaking sunroof drain tubes, and heater valve, when I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the drain tubes were working.

I poured water into the passengers side corner of the sunroof where to drain was, and found water pouring out of the bottom of the A pillar finisher and from a corner of the headlining were the passenger sun visor is.

I'm fully prepared to be removing the headlining, but and idea of what I should be looking for as an obvious leaking point would be useful.

Stand down...problem solved. Incredibly the sunroof isn't joined to the roof of the car at the top. So when got a bit free with my water it washed over the top of the sunroof cassette tray and onto the headlining and down the A pillar. I have been wondering if when they built these cars they added these little problems (laughably secured drain tubes, fuel filter lids that work themselves unscrewed, ect, ect) by way of a historical nod to their BL heritage...?

Quote Originally Posted by RattyB View Post
    Stand down...problem solved. Incredibly the sunroof isn't joined to the roof of the car at the top. So when got a bit free with my water it washed over the top of the sunroof cassette tray and onto the headlining and down the A pillar. I have been wondering if when they built these cars they added these little problems (laughably secured drain tubes, fuel filter lids that work themselves unscrewed, ect, ect) by way of a historical nod to their BL heritage...?
    Well, I'm afraid that's a pretty normal way of doing it. not just MGR, BLetc.
    If (yes IF) your drain tubes are OK then the water won't flow beyond the cassettte.

Glad you could breath a sigh of relief on that!

David

The drain tubes are secure top and bottom. I know because I had half the headlining before I realised I could see daylight at the top of the sunroof cassette. I double checked it, this time using a more modest stream of water and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RattyB View Post
    Well, it was Longbridge.... the site that fermented all the unrest. When I was approaching my 17th I was chatting to my neighbour (who was a mechanic - not fitter) that I was going to buy a Cooper S for my first car (s/h chaps, we're not made of money up north). He stated, seriously, that I should make sure it was from Cowley and not Longbridge. The couple of Austin owners in the group of us that purchased an S were always of the road doing jobs. Every couple of months another job to do that in reality should not have needed to be done if the works had done it right in the first place.

regards,

Kev