Leaking heater....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaking heater....

Default Leaking heater....

Hi all. Having just removing all the carpets from my V8 due to the ever popular sunroof drain tube problem, I discovered that part of the heater unit has been leaking coolant into the car. I have attached some pics that show where the problem is. I'm looking for advice on the best way to fix this before I call in the pros.

This picture shows the part which is leaking, it is on the upper left hand side of the drivers footwell and appears to have two pipes going into it. I've also attached the Rimmer Bros diagram of the V8 heater system. I have to say, my heater system doesn't look anything like the one in their diagram. It has been suggested by that part number 8, is the part on my heater which is leaking, but again, my part doesn't look anything like that

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Chris, welcome along. Your leak is probably coming from the distribution valve which directs coolant to the dual zone climate control. It is the same valve that is in the N/S plenum under the scuttle panel and is a well known problem. The one in the plenum is replaceable with an upgraded valve from the club shop but I don't think it will fit as a replacement for the one attached to the heater matrix. Some members have replaced this with a simple three way 15mm copper T piece with short 15mm copper pipe stubs with olives soldered. This resolves the problem but you will no longer have dual zone CC. I'll see if I can find any more info.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

By the way if you get your completed questionnaire back to Tim to get full membership there is a lot of info you do not have access to at the moment.

Nich.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Hi Chris, welcome along. Your leak is probably coming from the distribution valve which directs coolant to the dual zone climate control. It is the same valve that is in the N/S plenum under the scuttle panel and is a well known problem. The one in the plenum is replaceable with an upgraded valve from the club shop but I don't think it will fit as a replacement for the one attached to the heater matrix. Some members have replaced this with a simple three way 15mm copper T piece with short 15mm copper pipe stubs with olives soldered. This resolves the problem but you will no longer have dual zone CC. I'll see if I can find any more info.

Nich.
    Thanks for the help. I'm a little confused: is it possible to replace my leaky valve with this homemade copper t-piece, or is that just for the external valve? Are there any 'how to's' for removing and refitting, and for fabricating a replacement? Is it not longer possible to get the correct part? Like I say, the one that Rimmer Bros stock looks nothing like what I have, the pipes appear to go into the bottom of mine, rather than the sides.

Thirdly...what questionnaire? I'm keen to get involved. I've just bought this car and it's paperwork would suggest a connection to The Phoenix Group and John Towers in particular. I just need to await some info from the DVLA

Many thanks again

Send a PM to Tim for a copy of the questionnaire. What are the last three digits of your VIN? We may have some more info on your car.

The homemade replacement T piece which will negate your dual zone climate control is for the internal valve attached to the heater matrix but it is obviously important for you to ensure that this is the offending article before either replacing or buying one from Rimmers especially if you are not convinced that you have the same valve. Rimmers schematics do not always reflect an accurate depiction of the parts in question.

I would have thought your best bet would be to get a work light down there and take as many photos as you can in a logical sequence which should allow you to build up a notional picture of the valve in question.

By the way the part numbers on the Rimmers site would suggest the internal valve is different from the one in the plenum but again Rimmers are not always accurate and it would probably be wise to seek advice from someone who has done the replacement.

Nich.

Hi. If you have a ZT-260 you do indeed have the two way valve which COULD be replaced by a Y-piece. I think they are available from X-part though. If you have a R75V8 you can't do it that easily. It's a two motor 4 way jobby and handed, LHD/RHD, to boot. They are available from X-Part, I just bought one, since the motors on mine have a mind of their own and jam on the plastic tracks which activate the two valves.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi. If you have a ZT-260 you do indeed have the two way valve which COULD be replaced by a Y-piece. I think they are available from X-part though. If you have a R75V8 you can't do it that easily. It's a two motor 4 way jobby and handed, LHD/RHD, to boot. They are available from X-Part, I just bought one, since the motors on mine have a mind of their own and jam on the plastic tracks which activate the two valves.

David
    Thanks. Can you if possible post a picture of the part you've just bought, or the part number? Also, how did you get yours out? I have the Rover V8, so it seems the homemade replacement isn't on the cards!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RattyB View Post
    Thanks. Can you if possible post a picture of the part you've just bought, or the part number? Also, how did you get yours out? I have the Rover V8, so it seems the homemade replacement isn't on the cards!

Thanks
    Part number is JGE000070 and I think the RHD version ends 000060. Try putting that into Rimmer's part-number box. Breath in; they are now 250 Quid!
    www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk have 'em at £159.93 + VAT though , which is what I paid Nick at Austin's for my 00070

Googling just on "JGE000060" will bring up quite a lot of options, but I couldn't find one cheaper. Nick may have one ??

Best check that JGE000060 is correct for RHD; I know my JGE000070 is the correct valve for LHD.

Edit: haven't fitted mine yet. Nick say's its a dash out job :-(
    Maybe just the console unit is enough, but I'm not banking on that. LHD is different anyway, some bits being handed, some not.

David
    Last edited by David; 23-10-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RattyB View Post

Thanks
    Pictures JGE000070 (LHD R75V8)

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Part number is JGE000070 and I think the RHD version ends 000060. Try putting that into Rimmer's part-number box. Breath in; they are now 250 Quid!
    www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk have 'em at £159.93 + VAT though , which is what I paid Nick at Austin's for my 00070

Googling just on "JGE000060" will bring up quite a lot of options, but I couldn't find one cheaper. Nick may have one ??

Best check that JGE000060 is correct for RHD; I know my JGE000070 is the correct valve for LHD.

Edit: haven't fitted mine yet. Nick say's its a dash out job :-(
    Maybe just the console unit is enough, but I'm not banking on that. LHD is different anyway, some bits being handed, some not.

David
    So it's not JGE000010 as the Rimmer diagram suggests? Edit, thanks for the pics. So far I've found this forum very helpful
    Last edited by RattyB; 23-10-2016 at 04:04 PM.