MG TF 1.6L 2003 Just stopped running???

Thread: MG TF 1.6L 2003 Just stopped running???

Default MG TF 1.6L 2003 Just stopped running???

Hello everyone,

I own a silver MG TF That i got from a MG TF classified ads site and i love it she handles really well and enough power to get from a-b, right i'm not much of a mechanic that's why i am here and hoping you can help. So the other day started as usual i got up in the morning had my coffee and a little bit of breakfast got freshened up, dressed and then off to work and everything was sweet. When leaving work the car started up no problems at all i drove a few of miles on the way home pull up at the traffic lights went to pull of and the MG cut out? after repeatedly trying to start her i gave up and got her over to the side of the road checking the MG to see if there was any obvious problems but seen nothing. Tried to restart the Engine and nothing apart from the starter motor going over and over killing off the battery. Then i had my car towed home by a friend and it is sat in the garage waiting for me to sort it out.

What could the problem be? i will take everything you can put my way, anything me or my friends can fix between us we will give it ago first if not to the garage, but anything is fixable right? or just about anyway... i'm just hoping my engine is fine, there was no bang or smoke, just a clean cut out and stopped running, that quick i din't see it coming literally just died. Don't get me wrong i felt a slight drop in performance but i thought that was due to getting acquired to the MG, i see i was wrong!

SPECS
    Year 2003
    Model: MG TF
    Engine: 1.6L
    Fuel: Petrol
    Transmission: 5 speed manual
    Mileage: 59,000

Any further information that might help you let me know and i will place it up!
    Any information tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated

Example image below

Thanks guys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MGROVER; 22-09-2016 at 05:37 AM. Reason: More information

Sounds obvious I know but - fuel level low?

Ex-Mod, RIP

You could try the FRegister, they are a good bunch of people specific to the F/TF
    http://www.mgfregister.org/

PS. Surely it's an F ?
    Last edited by AndyG; 21-09-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Try the fuel pump cut off switch. Located on the left hand side of the engine bay ~ looks like a round rubber covered disc. Give it a press ~ it's located by the ecu. You'll need to remove the access grill. As Andy has already said ask on the MGF Register Forum. One of the technical gurus will come up with more suggestions if this suggestion doesn't work.
    The Blue Beast of Burnham ~ #373 Typhoon ZT 260SE

Where abouts are you? I could stick T4 on if you are localish, its normally cam sensors that cause a non start on the K series.

Thumbs up

I'm 100% sure the fuel level is fine haha i know what you mean though these things do happen... I will check out the fuel pump cut off switch first off this makes sense and would be an easy enough fix. If this don't help i will just on the http://www.mgfregister.org/ and see what they say!

Thanks for the help guys hopefully this will be a quick fix

First check that the fuel pump is working turn on the ignition and listen for the fuel pump coming on it should run for a few seconds and then stop. if that's ok crank the engine with a plug out and see if you are getting a spark.