ZT-260 vs MG SV
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZT-260 vs MG SV

Default ZT-260 vs MG SV

Dear All

How does the 4.6 litre Mustang engine fitted to the SV-R, differ from the unit fitted to the ZT-260? (the former seems to have been more powerful even in non-supercharged form)
    I have also read that a 5-litre v8 engine was fitted/planned to be fitted to the SV?

Thanks

Andrew

Ex-Mod, RIP
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

The SVR engine was a 5 ltr quad cam engine supplied by Sean Hyland. I rebuilt all of them to cure a valve seat problem. The main difference was they had much better piston/conrods modified cylinder heads with high performance cams. The engines are much stronger and are about 65hp more than the standard SV unit. There were also a few 2 valve units the same as the ZT260 but fitted with Rouch blowers.

Thanks Scooter, sounds like that SVR engine was a beast!

Andrew

The engine was strong enough to go to 800+hp

Per cylinder of course !!! ��

Jez Marsh

372 ZTT SE PBT
    M 260 MG

There have been a few negative comments over on the Rover 75/ZT forum recently about the v8 engined cars, but one comment was that MGR fitted the wrong Mustang engine to the car.
    I wonder if the 4.6 litre engine was the only one that MGR could get off Ford for a reasonable price?
    If a 260 owner had deep enough pockets I guess they could source and fit the 5 litre v8 engine?

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by YorksMG2016 View Post
    There have been a few negative comments over on the Rover 75/ZT forum recently about the v8 engined cars, but one comment was that MGR fitted the wrong Mustang engine to the car.
    I wonder if the 4.6 litre engine was the only one that MGR could get off Ford for a reasonable price?
    If a 260 owner had deep enough pockets I guess they could source and fit the 5 litre v8 engine?

Andrew
    There are always negative comments about our cars on the OC site and most of those who comment seem to know so much more than MGR about the development of our cars. I don't bother visiting now, got fed up with the negative comments and the stupidity of some of the posters.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Ex-Mod, RIP

Andrew
    The Quad Cam engine needs a rebuilding of the bulkhead. Not worth the effort IMHO.
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Andrew
    I guess that's a bit academic. Not just price I imagine. It had to be fit-able, powerful "enough" and reliable.

The modular 4.6 fits that bill and is strong as an ox. Powered not only Mustangs but Crown Victoria's, cop-cars, taxis and pickups. In the US 400k miles is common and over 1/2 million miles is not unheard off. Mine is over 210k miles and still going strong; sweet as a nut.

... wrong choice? Not in my book. I'm happy as Larry with my 'Olive'. Aren't you with yours?

David
    Last edited by David; 21-08-2016 at 03:19 PM.