ZT-T 260 2004 89500 miles - Auction - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ZT-T 260 2004 89500 miles - Auction

It's all over Facebook too

Was the door reversed on to something as it looks like the rear door is also catching on the front door, this would sugest possible A pillar damage ? As the pillar has been twisted?

Colin

OK- reply to your questions. The ABS light can kick in any time from 10 minutes into driving to an hour. It will stay on then but if the car is left for a time it will go away again. I've no idea on the problem.

Tyres - I don't see the point in buying tyres and getting the MOT done if I'm selling. It may look a little more attractive but people can think about that when offering. The insurance will pay out anyway as the MOT was valid when I put the claim in.

The door was damaged when reversing out of at tight parking spot and not seeing a big metal bollard just below the window line of the drivers door. The main damage is down the vertical side of the door where it meets the front wing - small amount to the front wing edge. There is a small scrape to the edge of the door where it meets the rear door. All damage is cosmetic. I would think a new door (which I have) respray and a bit of repair work to the front wing edge and the rear edge. I will trey and get some better pictures today and post them.

Price? - its an auction. I will take what people are willing to pay. I had an offer of £2500 but will wait to see what it goes to.

Quote Originally Posted by 6KH View Post
    If I would have accepted my insurance company's judgement on my Rover 45 it too would have been a write-off. That was four years and 60,000 miles ago. All due to an idiot reversing into the driver's door. I claimed from the idiot's insurance company (instead of mine), had a second-hand door fitted and resprayed for about £200, and the car was back on the road. The garage nominated by the insurance company to do the work is an ex-Rover dealer who had a 45 they were keeping for spares. I spoke to them and urged them to make the job as low-cost as possible. They even asked me whether I minded if I had a second-hand door! Of course I didn't! The car at that time was 11 years old and the rest of it was very much second hand already.

I've also had a Category D write off with a Metro in the 1990s. A dent in the rear quarter and a replacement rear light lens was all that happened. The dent was pushed out with a piece of wood and a scrappy provided the lens for £5 at that time. You could tell there had been a dent, but for that car at that time, it didn't matter to me.

The moral of the story is that insurance companies are used to dealing with people who cannot repair their own cars and for whom the value of a car is simply a matter of economics. For us, it's different!

Andrew

I had had the same issue with a Range Rover a couple of years back,written off for a rear wing. £25 of eBay and in the right colour and they paid out £1000. It's less work for the ins company's to write a vehicle off and cheaper than using their list of " approved repairers " with their over inflated prices.

ABS issue sounds like the modulator on its way out, not uncommon. My theory is they suffer from heat being sat next to the engine which causes dry joints in the solder connectors of the fine gold wires inside. Will need a replacement modulator or getting it repaired at on of the ecu repairers, if you can find one who will do it.
    2003 ZT 260SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
    2004 ZT-T+ CDTi Aquamarine
    1999 MX-5 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Richb View Post
    ABS issue sounds like the modulator on its way out, not uncommon. My theory is they suffer from heat being sat next to the engine which causes dry joints in the solder connectors of the fine gold wires inside. Will need a replacement modulator or getting it repaired at on of the ecu repairers, if you can find one who will do it.
    Not unique to 260's either. I have a R75 V6 with the same problem. BMW's, not unsurprisingly, are apparently renowned for that problem with modulator electrics. My garage man said "if you deliver it for the APK (MOT) with the light out, I'm not obliged to road test it or drive it outside the garage even. If it stays off, it stays off! " (UK regs. may well be different). On my V6 car at least, just doing an error-code reset with my Autec turned it off providing you didn't exceed about 10mph. Note, however, I'm pretty sure that whilst the light is on your ABS system is switched off and will not function!

However it might still be worth wiggling the blue connectors at the wheel-arch ends to see if that effects it. The loom-end part of the connector can crumble or become damaged after being disconnected several times over the years. I 'fixed' one by hard-wiring it. Really terrible connectors prone to problems like the air-bag ones under the front seats.

Hope that helps,

David
    Last edited by David; 03-01-2016 at 12:13 PM.

I really get annoyed when insurance company's right off a perfectly good vehicle, all this c**p about saving the planet when a day's work would put a car like this back on the road (and keep someone employed). I'm surprised the 'green brigade' don't bang on more about this insurance scam! Scrap yards are full of perfectly good cars being crushed. These 260's are are a 'very' rare commodity, and must be saved! I love being a grumpy old man!��

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Not unique to 260's either. I have a R75 V6 with the same problem. BMW's, not unsurprisingly, are apparently renowned for that problem with modulator electrics. My garage man said "if you deliver it for the APK (MOT) with the light out, I'm not obliged to road test it or drive it outside the garage even. If it stays off, it stays off! " (UK regs. may well be different). On my V6 car at least, just doing an error-code reset with my Autec turned it off providing you didn't exceed about 10mph. Note, however, I'm pretty sure that whilst the light is on your ABS system is switched off and will not function!

However it might still be worth wiggling the blue connectors at the wheel-arch ends to see if that effects it. The loom-end part of the connector can crumble or become damaged after being disconnected several times over the years. I 'fixed' one by hard-wiring it. Really terrible connectors prone to problems like the air-bag ones under the front seats.

Hope that helps,

David

Would the abs problem effect the traction control as well? A mate of mine has an intermittent abs fault on his xk8 and reckons when the light comes on he loses traction control.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan315 View Post
    Would the abs problem effect the traction control as well? A mate of mine has an intermittent abs fault on his xk8 and reckons when the light comes on he loses traction control.
    Yes, both ABS and traction control use the ABS wheel sensors. If the modulator is not getting the correct signal, neither will work.

Rich
    2003 ZT 260SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
    2004 ZT-T+ CDTi Aquamarine
    1999 MX-5 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by VXman View Post
    OK- reply to your questions. The ABS light can kick in any time from 10 minutes into driving to an hour. It will stay on then but if the car is left for a time it will go away again. I've no idea on the problem.

Tyres - I don't see the point in buying tyres and getting the MOT done if I'm selling. It may look a little more attractive but people can think about that when offering. The insurance will pay out anyway as the MOT was valid when I put the claim in.

The door was damaged when reversing out of at tight parking spot and not seeing a big metal bollard just below the window line of the drivers door. The main damage is down the vertical side of the door where it meets the front wing - small amount to the front wing edge. There is a small scrape to the edge of the door where it meets the rear door. All damage is cosmetic. I would think a new door (which I have) respray and a bit of repair work to the front wing edge and the rear edge. I will trey and get some better pictures today and post them.

Price? - its an auction. I will take what people are willing to pay. I had an offer of £2500 but will wait to see what it goes to.

Argh its jus a crease line and possibly shoved it on hinges, easy repair ! Personally id let the auction run its gotta be a 3.5k car