Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
Not unique to 260's either. I have a R75 V6 with the same problem. BMW's, not unsurprisingly, are apparently renowned for that problem with modulator electrics. My garage man said "if you deliver it for the APK (MOT) with the light out, I'm not obliged to road test it or drive it outside the garage even. If it stays off, it stays off! " (UK regs. may well be different). On my V6 car at least, just doing an error-code reset with my Autec turned it off providing you didn't exceed about 10mph. Note, however, I'm pretty sure that whilst the light is on your ABS system is switched off and will not function!

However it might still be worth wiggling the blue connectors at the wheel-arch ends to see if that effects it. The loom-end part of the connector can crumble or become damaged after being disconnected several times over the years. I 'fixed' one by hard-wiring it. Really terrible connectors prone to problems like the air-bag ones under the front seats.

Hope that helps,

David

Would the abs problem effect the traction control as well? A mate of mine has an intermittent abs fault on his xk8 and reckons when the light comes on he loses traction control.