Pearl Black 2004 MG ZT260SE mark 1, V8 for sale - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Black 2004 MG ZT260SE mark 1, V8 for sale

Just an update on the car. Toured up to Scotland, toured France around reims area. Now has over 121,000 on it and I love it and can't stop driving the thing. Had the car detailed by a mate of mine and it looked new once he had finished with the exception of the front bumper scuff. Now had that done. Had a couple of oil changes and will be replacing all spark plugs over the winter as I'm getting a misfire sometimes, diff and gearbox oil check and sort the clicking noise behind the dash. I know what it is but will sort when it's off road for the winter.
    Last edited by jeff turbo; 27-10-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

If the slight clicking noise is what you suspect to be the fan in your earlier post. Have another look. It may be the internal distribution valve for the heating. Mine does it and took me a while to work out what the noise was.
    Dave Rushfirth

Empty garage where #138 used to be

Could the misfire be vapour lock, When does the problem occur?

SJR
    Super Jumbo Racing
    05 260 Saloon
    87 5.0 Mustang G.T.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff turbo View Post
    Just an update on the car. Toured up to Scotland, toured France around reims area. Now has over 121,000 on it and I love it and can't stop driving the thing. Had the car detailed by a mate of mine and it looked new once he had finished with the exception of the front bumper scuff. Now had that done. Had a couple of oil changes and will be replacing all spark plugs over the winter as I'm getting a misfire sometimes, diff and gearbox oil check and sort the clicking noise behind the dash. I know what it is but will sort when it's off road for the winter.
    If your misfire spreads to more than 1 cylinder, think about an air leak; my PCV pipe rubber-elbows (cam-cover PCV valve to throttle body plenum) rotted through and caused that.

Just noticed, "121k". Are you sure that the PCV valve has been changed at 90k according to the service schedule?
    So called "experts" say don't bother, BUT Ford say 80k, MGR 90k, and my car was 105k from the prior replacement when it failed, sticking open or closed according to how it felt and creating very random weak-mixture misfiring. Both the PCV valve and the pipe, which rots and leaks air, are available from RockAuto and quite reasonably priced. ... just my two-penneth!

(Edit) Motocraft numbers for RockAuto:
    PCV valve: EV-261 (2C5Z-6A666-AA)
    Hose to Throttle-body: KCV-240 (2L2Z-6A664-FA)

David
    Last edited by David; 29-10-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Just noticed, "121k". Are you sure that the PCV valve has been changed at 90k according to the service schedule?
    So called "experts" say don't bother, BUT Ford say 80k, MGR 90k, and my car was 105k from the prior replacement when it failed, sticking open or closed according to how it felt and creating very random weak-mixture misfiring. Both the PCV valve and the pipe, which rots and leaks air, are available from RockAuto and quite reasonably priced. ... just my two-penneth!

(Edit) Motocraft numbers for RockAuto:

David
    I changed the plugs and the misfire stopped.
    As I bought the car on 109,000 I have no idea if anything else had been changed prior to my purchase of it.
    What part is the PCV valve ?
    Last edited by jeff turbo; 04-11-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

Quote Originally Posted by re-tread View Post
    If the slight clicking noise is what you suspect to be the fan in your earlier post. Have another look. It may be the internal distribution valve for the heating. Mine does it and took me a while to work out what the noise was.
    Its the unit that changes the flow of air and heat. I had it go on my ZS180. Haven't got round to fixing it as it didn't worry me too much.
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

Its the unit that changes the flow of air and heat. I had it go on my ZS180. Haven't got round to fixing it as it didn't worry me too much.
    Think you will find it controls water not air.

ZT 260's are different to the V6 ZT in the way distribution works, and I assume the ZS.
    Rover 75V8's are different again which is why the "Y"-piece fix doesn't.

David

... What part is the PCV valve ?
    Like I said:
    Motocraft numbers (for RockAuto):

There appears to be no MGR number for the PCV valve even though it is "replace" at 90k on the service schedule!
    Not sure about the hose.

If you need to identify WHERE the thing is and/or what it does, please PM me.

David
    Last edited by David; 04-11-2016 at 01:34 PM.

PCV valve is Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

SJR
    Super Jumbo Racing
    05 260 Saloon
    87 5.0 Mustang G.T.