Rover 75 260 Help needed

Thread: Rover 75 260 Help needed

Default Rover 75 260 Help needed

Hi Everyone
    I've just joined this forum, i have owned my Rover for about 3 years now and it developed a problem about 2 years ago that no one has been able to solve.
    Many people have tried and I've have no luck fixing it.
    I run a garage in NW London, but have not been to well this year, and have had to time to sort this out, and now want to get her running again.
    Intermittently she wont start, when trying the fuel pump is not working, not sure if spark is there,it turns over but wont start. Leave it for a few hours and it will run again.
    There is no pattern to this but I know when it wont start as I have found that if you switch on the ignition without starting her, and place the auto shift in reverse, if you hear the beep from the reverse parking sensor as it goes into reverse, it will start, hear nothing and all it will do it crank but not start.
    When its running it never cuts out, so consequently any journey is a challenge, you can't turn off for fear of non start. Refueling is good fun, leaving it running, have to take the spare key to lock it while you pay for fuel.
    Recently I took it to the Rover guys in St Albans and they think its the gateway ECU,which allows the Rover ECU to talk to Ford and BMW ECU's, it's part no is NNN 000710 which is now NNN 000850 they sent it to be tested at AC Tronics, and think its faulty.
    They can't repair it as they have no specs for it.
    It is located behind/under the glove box area.
    Now this is my question, as this ECU is different on the Rover as its Auto, is there any kind soul out there that will try this ECU out on their car to see if the fault is replicated, or if they have a spare one can they lend it to me PLEASE so i can get my car back on the road where it belongs.
    I will gladly come to you, I am in NW London based.
    Please get in touch with me by email on info@gdkgarages.co.uk or call me on 07809 506650 or via here
    Have i put this in the right place?
    Thanks in advance
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex; 17-10-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Ex-Mod, RIP

WELCOME

When you fill in the questionnaire and go green there is loads of stuff to read.

(Lists of your brothers and sisters and tech help)

List of 001 to 883

Pictures of cars in VIN order
    To add your car

Car Names

Estates

Supercharged Cars

Locations
    Location Map

Rolling Road Results

Past & Future Events
    List of events

Articles about our cars
    Technical Index

Consumables - What goes where

The SHOP

List of possible 260s Meetings
    MG ZT260 FAQ (in the Public Section)

Two-sixties Blog (in the Public Section)

MG ZT/ZT-T and Rover 75 V8 Buyers Guide (in the Public Section)

Items for sale 260 members only
    Items For Sale in Public Section (in the Public Section)
    List of MG ZT/ZTT/75 V8s For Sale(in the Public Section)

BTCC Media Day (in the Public Section)
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

A week ago I was talking to Dominic who has a car with ECU problems. From what I gather from the discussion we had, it's not an easy problem to solve and I am sure that he will be able to explain the problem to you, and may be able to help with a solution. I might be wrong about this because he knows a lot more than me, but I got the impression that you can't just swap ECUs from another car.

I've alerted him to this thread and hopefully he will share his knowledge with you!

Andrew

I'll give you a bell but Wyn (eurorover) also would be great for this issue as he has loads of experience of working with ECU's on our cars due to the complex rebuild of 007

interesting.... If the gateway ecu was faulty and stopping the car from starting then the Ford ECU would list a fault code from memory ecu disabled or fuel pump/driver module off line. Also it should show engine disabled on the dash.
    The gateway only links the ford ecu to the bmw ews so it can start the car and the ecu for an auto is different. The car need to go on a T4 and see what the codes listed are.

Is there any water in the boot or any of the carpets wet??

Hi there all water leaks were cured over a year ago, but both sunroof drains and rear lamps were leaking.
    Took entire interior out and dried it out.
    Been dry inside since.

You need to get your questionnaire back to Tim to get full access to the site Alex. Lots of information on here.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Hi Alex remove the EWS and check for water ingress