Buying Help...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Help...

Default Buying Help...

Hello,

Having recently sold my Rover BRM and having previously owned an 800 Vitesse Coupe and 600ti, I am now looking to source an MG ZT260 (mark 1). I have been in contact with a couple of sellers over the past few weeks and have found a car that I am very interested in; however, I have a few questions which I would be grateful if you could help me with.

1) Are the ZT260s timing belt or chain driven? I believe them to be belt driven engines; however, the vendor of the car I am currently enquiring about is telling me the engine is chain driven. Assuming it is belt driven, what is the approx. cost to replace?
    2) Roughly what does it cost to repair / replace the air conditioning compressor?
    3) Do all the SEs with the TV screen have sat nav?

Once I have bought a car I will become an active member of the club and I thank you in advance for any responses to the above.

Cheers, Andy

Ex-Mod, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by PenntorrRod View Post
    1) Are the ZT260s timing belt or chain driven?
    what is the approx. cost to replace?
    2) Roughly what does it cost to repair / replace the air conditioning compressor?
    Cheers, Andy
    1)Duplex chain. Never(?) needs attention.
    2)Sorry don't know. (readily available).
    3)I believe so (unless MGR forgot to fit)

Oh and:
    WELCOME to the Two Sixties

MG ZT260 FAQ

Two-sixties Blog

Public Section

MG ZT/ZT-T and Rover 75 V8 Buyers Guide
    Items For Sale in Public Section
    List of MG ZT/ZTT/75 V8s For Sale

We have many threads in the Members Section that will help you when you own a 260/75V8

If you have other any question please ask on the forum.

How did you hear about our forum?
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Hello,

Having recently sold my Rover BRM and having previously owned an 800 Vitesse Coupe and 600ti, I am now looking to source an MG ZT260 (mark 1). I have been in contact with a couple of sellers over the past few weeks and have found a car that I am very interested in; however, I have a few questions which I would be grateful if you could help me with.

1) Are the ZT260s timing belt or chain driven? I believe them to be belt driven engines; however, the vendor of the car I am currently enquiring about is telling me the engine is chain driven. Assuming it is belt driven, what is the approx. cost to replace?

Once I have bought a car I will become an active member of the club and I thank you in advance for any responses to the above.

Cheers, Andy
    1 already replied to

2 I was approx £300 for my compressor, cheaper ones out there but I'd replace it with an idler pulley next time and do away with it

3 yes, but it's years out of date

Thanks everyone... I look forward to adding a car to the 260 community very soon!

We've got a mk1 in storage at the moment Andy if you are interested. Not advertised yet but its a black mk1 with 114k on the clock, xpower back boxes etc. Going to advertise shortly at £5,300 to the general public. Where do you live? As you say if you're looking to be an active member we could be talked into dropping the sale price

Owners tend to replace the standard TV out due to the age now. Lots of info on the site.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    We've got a mk1 in storage at the moment Andy if you are interested. Not advertised yet but its a black mk1 with 114k on the clock, xpower back boxes etc. Going to advertise shortly at £5,300 to the general public. Where do you live? As you say if you're looking to be an active member we could be talked into dropping the sale price

Owners tend to replace the standard TV out due to the age now. Lots of info on the site.
    this truly is a great example that Tim talks about. One I was too slow to buy some years ago myself
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Check the rear subframe!

Andrew

Thank everyone... I bought a mk1 on Monday with 85K miles with X Power Exhausts and an Accufab Throttle Body.

Subframe has been done by the previous owner; however, there is some surface rust to tackle on the underside of the car. In addition, I have found a 'clicking' sound when accelerating in fifth gear (it is like an engine mount noise, but only present in fifth gear... could be a small amount of play in the gearbox or clutch?)... anyone had this problem?

The car will also need a pair of front struts in the not too distant future... any ideas where to source them?

Thanks for the offer of your car Tim... unfortunately, I had agreed the deal on mine prior to reading your message.

Cheers, Andy

Ex-Mod, RIP

The car will also need a pair of front struts in the not too distant future... any ideas where to source them?
    https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...218#post162218

EDIT: Just realised you're not green yet.

Yes they are available
    Last edited by AndyG; 14-10-2015 at 12:48 PM.
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Welcome Andy. I've just put two and two together!

l've not come across the 'clicking' before, but someone will probably be along to help. There is a Club purchase going on for front struts. You should be able to see once you are a full member.
    Tony Dennis
    I counted them in and I counted them out (with apologies to Brian Hanrahan) - 005, 007, 019, 051, 103, 288, 354, 455, 577, 700 - the story continues.