Lumpy idle, mis fire heard through exhaust, lack of response when pulling away. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lumpy idle, mis fire heard through exhaust, lack of response when pulling away.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    The intake set-up on the 260 is not really a problem. Also the MAF is not in a U-bend but in a straight section, just after the elbow that come from the tube.
    This set-up works well, even on S/C cars.

With mine I've cut away most of the filter housing and effectively created an open filter with K&N cone. The MAF is still in the same position.
    I think the MAF position is not the problem. Anywhere before the throttle body is fine as long as it's not in turbulent air

When starting, just give it a second or 2 to let the fuel pressure build up. If the pump was at fault, you'd notice at full throttle.
    Agreed with the pump theory - maybe I'm cranking too soon? Either way, goes like stink at full throttle so must be ok.

RE the intake - I just find the concept of bonded intake pipework ridiculous. It clearly doesn't last as it seems most people's mafs eventually break away from the elbow and it even has a flanged inlet face with four bolt holes as though it should correspond to a flange on the pre-maf pipework. I've never owned another car with bonded pipework, its always sleeved/clamped.

I can't even see why it was moved for the ZT. It sits up top in a mustang, and gains almost nothing by being where It is on a ZT... Apart from potentially being out of engine bay heat soak?

Herman, does yours sound throatier with an open filter? We hired a mustang GT-H in the states and albeit a slightly different engine, the open filter in the engine bay have a serious growl when pushed!!
    Last edited by em645; 12-06-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: my phone called 'herman' a 'german'

All I can say is mine sounds fine

Welcome to have a listen and a drive (as a passenger)

There is not that much wrong with the standard set-up, MG got it pretty spot-on
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

I find that a couple of self tappers in the housing that comes adrift works wonders to hold it all together. Far better than silicone.
    James Curgenven
    ZT 260 SE #455 "Hobbes - The Rumblebee"
    "By my deeds I honour him, V8."

Quote Originally Posted by James C View Post
    I find that a couple of self tappers in the housing that comes adrift works wonders to hold it all together. Far better than silicone.
    I glued mine when it came loose with UHU300+ and gave it an oven cure at 60 degrees. Works a treat

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    and gave it an oven cure at 60 degrees. Works a treat
    Does the wife know you used her oven for engine parts?
    There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Quote Originally Posted by peterv8 View Post
    Does the wife know you used her oven for engine parts?
    Who's oven....................??

I do all the cooking in the house...............pork, beef, lamb and mg parts

Herman

I would suspect a leak on the intake side, maybe a split somewhere like the pipe that goes across the top of the engine, or a clamp not done up firmly.

Maybe you can stick your head under the bonnet and listen for air sucking or whistling noises while someone blips the throttle for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenw View Post
    I would suspect a leak on the intake side, maybe a split somewhere like the pipe that goes across the top of the engine, or a clamp not done up firmly.

Maybe you can stick your head under the bonnet and listen for air sucking or whistling noises while someone blips the throttle for you.
    When I had a problem with an air leak in one of the PVC hoses, it led to running high rpms.
    Erratic idle could be a number of things but start with the simple ones:-
    • Is the air filter clean or does it need replacing?
    • Does the IAC-valve work (check by pulling the plug and the car should almost stall)
    • Is the EGR-valve doing it's job. Difficult to check but you may be able to pull the vacuum hose off.
    • How old are the plugs?
    • Is there a leaking injector? Pull one by one until you find one where the present condition doesn't change
    • Maybe a faulty COP, running 7 cylinders. Same testing procedure as above
    • Does the fuel pressure sensor work (OBD scanner)

That's it for starters and of the top of my head. Sure there's more that can be easily tested but it escapes me for now

Herman

Check your spark plugs are at the correct torque. A common fault with the modular V8 is poor threads in the heads for the sparke plugs.

My 260 has spot two out so far, the Ford repair is to fit an insert called a timesert. Available from Wurth here in the UK.