Rear subframe replacement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear subframe replacement

Default Rear subframe replacement

I've been to look at a 260 for sale today - never owned one before but have been thinking about it for a long time and I already have a ZS180.

The car is in the right price range for a good car, but the seller's face was not aware of rear subframe corrosion. He became aware when I put my thumb through it. It has done less than 1000 miles since its last MOT in September 2014 and it was rather surprising that there was no advisory.

The seller is willing to negotiate on price now, so I'd like to know what's involved in replacing it. I'd rather strip the rear transmission completely, fit new springs because the existing ones are rusty, new bushes etc where needed. I see that I can buy a new subframe from Rimmers for £750.

My question is what is involved in changing the subframe? From what I can see, it's wheels and drive shafts off, then springs, roll bar lateral links and dampers. But then, does one remove the subframe with the differential attached by splitting the driveshaft from the diff then taking it off as a one? Or is the diff removed from the subframe before the subframe is removed from the body?

Apart from the difficulty of dealing with 10-year-old fasteners, is this job any harder than it seems? I'm trying to assess the value of the job for the purpose of discussions on the price.

You might like to send me a private message to keep the commercial part of this private!

Recon rear subframes are available on an exchange basis to full members in the club shop at around £300.

As far as I know the subframe is removed separate to the diff but more knowledgeable members will be able to advise more accurately.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Ex-Mod, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 6KH View Post
    .......................!
    WELCOME

MG ZT260 FAQ

Two-sixties Blog

Public Section

MG ZT/ZT-T and Rover 75 V8 Buyers Guide
    Items For Sale in Public Section
    List of MG ZT/ZTT/75 V8s For Sale

(We have many threads in the Members Section that will help you when you own a 260/75V8)

If you have other any question please ask.

How did you hear about our forum?
    Last edited by AndyG; 27-03-2015 at 05:20 PM.
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Best to remove the whole stuff-up in one piece if you have the space and the kit to do it. I've just had mine done over at Retro Lifestyle in Brighouse. https://www.facebook.com/MgLifestyleukLtd

Give Chris a ring and have a chat. I'm sure he will give you a few pointers.
    Dave Rushfirth

Empty garage where #138 used to be

There is a much quicker and cheaper "fix" which involves replacing the bottom transverse tube only.
    this is done in situ and obviates the need to take out the complete sub frame
    Brian aka "scooter" can sell you a kit for doing this
    There is a wealth of info about this on the forum
    dave

Thanks for the advice and the welcome message. The problem for me is that unless and until I get the car I can't be a full member so I don't have access to the "wealth of information" or the shop.

The link to the place in Brighouse is interesting and they aren't too far from here. However I generally like to do all work on my cars myself.

I've seen the repair with just welding in the tube, but I'd like to take the opportunity to overhaul the whole back end so I may as well take the whole thing out. I'll let you all know what happens!

Ex-Mod, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 6KH View Post
    ........................until I get the car I can't be a full member so I don't have access to the "wealth of information" or the shop.
    Just ask any questions (about a 260/R75V8 ) and we will answer
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

6KH - Are you the fella that collared me in Morrsions carpark the other week, to talk 260s?

Yes - it's all your fault!

what a heart warming little thread. New member, specific questions, practical support, indy skillsets, helpful community; it has it all. Nice one