Anyone near me want to play with diagnostics? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone near me want to play with diagnostics?

In general T4 seems to be ok with the ZT260 but we have had cars that would not speak to T4

I have been working on this quite a lot recently. Time for an update I think, and also another plea for help. Working with Greeners was great but I can't get hold of him anymore.

1. I now have a real T4 which is hugely helpful as a development tool, and I have had a chance to try it on a 260.
    I found that it would go into the engine ECU, but attempting to read error codes causes it to go into a loop that you can't get out without shutting down the T4.
    Reading live data works.

2. I have also found that I can get straight into the engine ECU using Ford Mustang commands. The emissions based data is already done (as in the same as an OBD2 tool). This needed a bit of tweaking compared with OBD2 but I think it works.

3. The amount of data that can be extracted in Ford mode is insane. There appear to be far more parameters in there than I have ever seen on any other ECU, with sensors for things like fuel tank pressure as well as level. You can check for errors from the fuel filler cap sensor. I don't know how many of these will actually work on a V8 R75/ZT. It might be that the sensors are not there, or the ECU might have different firmware to a Ford Mustang. This is certainly data that a T4 can't read.

I can also read error codes reliably :-)

At the moment I am wading through all of these parameters and converting them all, and I don't even know if they will work. I have to travel a bit to meet up with an owner and I don't want to keep hassling him so I am currently doing the whole lot and hoping that I'm not wasting my time.

If anyone else is closer and can let me have a play with my results so far it would be really useful.
    Last edited by pscan.eu; 05-11-2016 at 12:36 AM.

You need to post your location Philip.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

I live in Ruislip and work in Hatfield, so anywhere in those areas or between are convenient.
    My normal commute is M25 J17 to J22 and back.

Philip, I bought your pscan.eu interface some time ago, for my V6 75 and other Rovers, must admit I haven't used it in a while as I now own a T4 too.
    I'm based in France so working together with you on 260 debugging might not be practical, but nevertheless if you need another hand in testing your software on a 260, just let me know.
    1999 2.5 V6 Rover 75 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
    2004 4.6 V8 MG ZT-T (the only known auto ZT-T V8) - LHD
    1993 2.7 V6 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
    1993 Rover 216 GSi
    1975 Rover P6 3500

The latest update 0417 should work on your V8, so if you can give it a try I would love to hear how you get on.

Phil,

Just seen this thread - I have a 2006 75 V8 and am based in Canary Wharf - so not too far from you. Happy to assist.

Regards

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by pscan.eu View Post
    I live in Ruislip and work in Hatfield, so anywhere in those areas or between are convenient.
    My normal commute is M25 J17 to J22 and back.
    I'm based in Hatfield if that is any help to you.

Kev

I have had some recent luck with 75s. It seems that like buses three have come at once.
    Rob Bell has lent me his ZT-T diesel for a few weeks, and I have pretty much done the GM6 already and I started looking at climate control and instruments.
    At the same time I found an early 1.8 75 that was been abandoned and about to be scrapped, I managed to remove I think every ECU from that so I can make my own "75 in a box".
    I also found a ZT V8 in Ruislip.
    I went and knocked on the guys door last night and he is willing to let me play with it.

So here is the question. What is the same about a V8 as other 75s and what is different? So what do I need to focus on whilst I have access to this guys V8 in Ruislip?

His car has factory reversing sensors so I will play with that as my other guinea pigs don't have that.
    Also the Ford engine ECU is specific to the V8, but I already have a Ford Mustang ECU and so it will be interesting to see to what extent they are different or the same.
    The obvious thing is the intermediate ECU (the one that converts from Rover/BMW protocols to Ford). I know that these are difficult to find and so that's one I should obviously concentrate on.

I am guessing that GM6, SRS, Instruments, EWS3, Climate control will all be the same as a non V8? Can anyone on here clarify?

thanks, Philip

Quote Originally Posted by pscan.eu View Post

I am guessing that GM6, SRS, Instruments, EWS3, Climate control will all be the same as a non V8? Can anyone on here clarify?

thanks, Philip
    I think the climate control on V8's has a different ecu. Some time ago I fitted an aftermarket control panel from Mat at DMGRS which would not work on the V8 (full heat whatever setting it was on). This panel works perfectly on standard cars so something is different on the V8. Sorry can't help with other items.

Mike